Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding this snowmobile for a while, I noticed that it bogs, but only when warm. I also think it might be running a little lean because the spark plugs are grey. Could this be related to the clutch sticking, or is it something else?

·
Super Moderator
17,164 Posts
If the plugs are grey because it's running lean, that would not be related to the clutch. I would make sure your carbs are clean and the jetting is appropriate for the temperature and elevation you are riding. The clutch sticking could also be helped with cleaning, and may contribute to a bog, but it would seem to me you have two separate issues...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last time I cleaned the carb, I only soaked it in vinegar and blew it out with an air compressor. Could it be that the jets aren't completely clean? I have no idea how I would find proper jets for it.

Also, I was thinking it might be the air screws but I've heard it's easy to mess up the position of them without a tool, so I was a little worried about doing that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You need to use real carb cleaner, not vinegar. Make sure you can see light through the jets. A fine wire will help clean them with the carb cleaner. Also, spray all the carb passages with the cleaner and then repeat with compressed air. If the jets are real bad, I will spray cleaner in a small glass jar with a lid. Put the jets in and put the lid on and let them soak. The pull them out and clean with more spray and the wire.

If you have not done so already, a good dose of Sea Foam in the gas helps clean out the minor stuff you missed. 2 oz. to a gallon of gas does it for me.

For the air screw, you turn it in until it stops. You count the turns as you screw it in. Do not screw it in tight! just to the point where it stops turning. Go slow. Then after you remove it, clean the passage with the carb cleaner. To set it, you just screw it all the way back in and then back it out the number of turns that you measured when you started. There is no special tool, just a small screwdriver. Someone here has one of theses sleds. Hopefully they will see this and can tell you what the factory air screw setting is.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
The Ovation uses a 2 barrel carb and it is real finicky
There is 1 float but thats bout it for being the same,
but it all works the same way!
Once done check the carb boot to make sure you don't have a air leak

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure I have an air leak as I'm missing one of the clamps. Could that be the issue? I just bought some clamps for It anyway so that might be an easy fix...

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
The front clamp is important the rear to air box is not!
That goofy 2 barrel carb flange is hard to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts