Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the sled world and just bought a 1989 Arctic Cat Wildcat 650. Unfortunately, I've been having some trouble with it. It seems to start and idle perfect, but the problems lie when I accelerate. Anything below like 5K rpm's it runs fine. Anything over that and it just bogs and stays at around 5k. I usually just lift up the rear and rev it. I have looked it over and havent found it yet. I have put fresh plugs, gas, and checked the compression(145 in both cyls). I tried bypassing that throttle safety switch and nothing. Hopefully someone else has had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance...

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a friend who had a similar problem on a wildcat. In his case, it was the ignition coil that was the problem. It seems that some of these older sleds had problems with the coil - it was not heat-proof enough to withstand the heat of the engine, and would weaken and finally fail over time...

If I remember correctly, the coil was quite expensive, and was a bear to replace.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
482 Posts
your secondary clutch opening up?
at 5000rpm thats when a secondary starts to work.
put the sled on a STABLE stand to get the track up and run it. then watch for the secondary to open up after the primary (motor clutch) closes.
you get to your BOG and that secondary dont open ya got your answer. needs to be takin apart and clean or rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts