Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gears For Brains
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1988 Polaris Indy 650, with 4800 miles on it. I have noticed a very loud and distinctive clunking noise that increases in frequency as i ride faster. I figured that the issue was related to track tension, due to the fact that the snowmobile does not make this noise when being run with the track off the ground,so i have tightened it and aligned it. But after a test ride it continues to make this clunking noise :confused:, are there any other things to check? what should i be looking for? should i not be riding this sled? thanks in advance. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does the speedo still work? Usually when the clutch side driveshaft bearing goes, it will also break the speedo key. Look under the tunnel first, and see if it looks like the shaft is offcenter in the bearing retainers. See if there is any play in the driveshaft by pulling it back and forth, or pull on the track and watch for movement.

If you can't tell this way, then take off the secondary, and pull off the speedo housing.

Usually you will get vibration by your left foot also if it is that bearing.

·
Gears For Brains
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how can i test to see if the chain case side bearing is bad or not? id prefer not to have to take of the chain case cover... would pulling on the drive shaft or jack shaft reveal any play? thanks,

·
Registered
98 Posts
You used the term "ratchetching". Could it just be a loose chain?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, there is an adjusting screw on hte chain case. Screw it in all way then loosen it off a little bit.

·
Gears For Brains
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i checked the drive shaft and i didn't notice any play, i think its coming from the chain case bearing... is this machine still safe to ride? or do you think that it could break down totally?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it is the chaincase bearing, I would fix it now or you will take out the chaincase when it totally goes!

They aren't hard to change.

$20-$50 for bearing and oil.

Did you check the chain play. Turn the secondary back and forth to see how much slop is in the chain. A loose chain wouldn't really cause ratcheting though.

You should also check the drivers.

·
Gears For Brains
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well guys thanks for all your help but i found the problem, just as burnoutking said, it was the belt!!! the belt was absolutely mascaraed... i replaced it and it runs like a dream, problem solved! :) thanks again though guys!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.