Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to tune a set of carbs on my '88 Exciter? Best starting position for the throttle and/or air screws? Is it best practice to tune to best performance then go just a little richer? Any help appreciated.

Tim

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The best way is with a carb synchronizer, but the static adjustment on the air screws is one turn out from seated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would agree that for most purposes, a little richer wont hurt. However the air screw only affects (effects?) the low range. Between say 0 and about 30 or so. Thus if it is not set rich, it wont hurt anything. Its the main jets that need to be right for the temp. That affects air mixture at 30 and about (mph) this could burn your engine if too lean.

I dork with this stuff all the time on my mountain sleds to get the perfect response on the low end but not toast my engine.

Now back to the air screw. Start, like smallengineguy said, with one full turn out. The go out on a flat strait area and from a dead stop, gun it. now turn the air screw out 1/4 turn on each carb. It will get more responsive. Once you turn it a 1/4 turn and it feels like it got worse again, then go back the 1/4 turn and you will be at the perfect mixture. Depending on temp, this may need to be done every now and then. I notice a huge difference on my sleds but they are bigger liquids. Never hurts to give her a try if you got some time and feel like dorking around. :)

i think i got long winded on that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts