Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what is wrong with my sled... here is what it is doing.....when I am ready to ride I start it up and let it warm up for about 5 min. than I go out and ride. No more than five minutes after riding the sled begins to bog down past about half throttle, also there is a lot of backfiring and smoke coming out of the exhaust, I can barely get any speed out of it to make it move. when I lift the track up off the ground and hit the throttle it acts as though nothing is wrong but as soo as i get back on and ride the same problem occurs again. If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Remove the plugs and check them out. They should be dry and brown color. If they're wet, the carbs have issues, either needing cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that when i pull the plugs and looks at them one side is always the right color but the other side is very wet and black

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The wet black side is the problem carburetor. Take it off and clean it. Set the air bleed screw to 1 turn out from seated. That should get you going again.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It fouled that plug, but since it's one carb, try going one step hotter on the problem side. If it takes BR9ES plugs, try a BR8ES on the bad side.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a similiar problem with an old 72 Arctic Cat Cheetah, started and ran fine, after a good run, bog down and eventually die, had to sit a while to get going again. Also a single carb, with one side getting fouled worse than the other. Turned out to be a bad coil on one side, got hot, went dead. A friend of mine bought it from me, put 2 new coils in, and it ran like a champ, no more dying. I would try a coil on the fouling side, or swap your coils side to side to see if the fouling switches sides, to verify a bad coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts