Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the sled this fall. It bogged really bad till it warmed up then it ran great. I finally cleaned carbs, put new plugs in and thought I was good to go. Rode about 30 miles, ran pretty good, had a very slight hesitation, but was making really good power.
After stopping for the day, tried to start and NOTHING. A little sputter on 1st pull, then nothing after that and I bet I pulled it close to 100 times, messing with choke and throttle.
Plugs aren't fouled, and didn't look overly wet but even after cleaning them it wouldn't fire. Have spark on all 3, can watch gas going thru carb lines.

After a few pulls it sprays gas out of the exhaust manifold (has small leak at gasket). One would assume it's flooded, but wouldn't letting it sit and cleaning off plugs let it start?
Or should I really drain crankcase to be sure?

I'm fairly new to 2 strokes, but have worked on plenty of gas/diesel cars/trucks/lawn mowers ect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will check comp tonight after work. If it has comp, I guess a little ether may be in order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked compression (with throttle open). Left to right- 85 90 115. No perfect but it should RUN. All 3 plug holes spray a mist of gas when engine is pulled over. Even with some ether it doesn't want to go.

I'm lost

·
Registered
75 Posts
check for crankcase drains not sure if it has them on your model but if so pull the plugs out and see if fuel comes out if so drain all cylinders put plugs back in and then try starting it up the drains should be on exaust side of motor under exhaust

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
he means the crank drain plugs, not the spark plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure it doesn't have them. Or I just didn't see them.

I removed airbox, gave it a health dose of ether and after about 20-25 pulls it started. I rode about a mile, seemed to run normally. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
I would think it has them, they've been on them a long time.

I think that's your problem also.

Cool sled BTW!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rode a few miles today just messin around, other than running out of gas, it seems to run good.
Hopefully have time to go on a real ride later this week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the compression supposed to be on this thing?
On the 3rd pull it ran for a sec then died and wouldn't start again until I gave it ether. Rode about 40 miles, ran good otherwise. I'm wondering if my compression is a little too low (85-90-115 PSI, L to R)

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Triples typically have lower compression, so the one with 115 is good, the 85 and 90 are too low.

Try a cap full of oil in those two cylinders and test again. If the reading comes up, it's rings, if not, it's likely a burnt piston.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured it was supposed to be 120. Ill check again with oil sometime. Its been gone thru once, when I had plugs out I noticed the pistons were 20 over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After about the 3rd pull the sled starts, sometimes if you give it some throttle it winds up and stays running, other times it dies before you can. Then you can pull it about all day and it won't ever even fire. Carbs are getting gas when this happens, I can see it flowing through the lines when the engine is pulled over. After its been running it's fine. Seems like its draining back gas, but I don't know. Is there any way to put a manual primer on it like older sleds had?
Been using ether to get it going when it doesn't start

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
ether in the carb or plug holes? Don't put it down the plug holes, there is no lubrication. Instead use premix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is your choke functioning properly? If the cables are too long or the plungers are stuck its a big pain to get going. Myn was like that until I fixed the choke. First pull it would fire a few times and then never again.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Still needs a top end. It is not hard to do, just the cost of pistons, gaskets, rings, wrist pins, circlips and the needle bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use ether in the carbs.

My choke seems to work normally.

You think it's time for a rebuild? I'm hoping to upgrade sleds by next season so it may not ever happen. But I guess we will see. I just wanted something cheap to start with and see how I liked it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts