Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can aney one help i have an 81 ski doo everest the thing runs fine until going up hill or ar aney kinda hard load is put on it and it slowly loses power and wont rev replaced fuel pump

·
luv the snow
68 Posts
Start with simple things bad plug, loose wires ,belt worn . Getting into points coils or cdi . Check plug condition very telling. Look for leakage at clutch side . Is it progressively worsening. Its no fun when they cant tell us whats wrong . Also fuel system check for signs of leakage or flooding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do a compression check on the engine dry and you should get at least 120# per cylinder and then do a wet test which you drop a capful of oil in each cylinder and with the throttle held wide open. The compression tester should not be a big difference in reading from the dry test.Also forgot to mention to give at least five full pulls when doing these tests.If the reading is different from the dry test that means you maybe in need of a ring job on the pistons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got new plugs its not geting worse check fuel systen dont c no leaks i did compression test i didnt dump oil in cylinder but it had 125psi in both cylinders wid open throtel 1 plug looks like it burning a little better than the other it kinda acts like it might be loading up but not shure. wrong main jet maby ? air adjustment screw i turned it in and out and it dont seem 2 make aney difference

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you have a sparkplug tester handy,check the fire on the plug that seemed fouled and you may have a weak coil.You could try a new set of plugs and see if they fire up both cylinders.if it happens again try swapping out the coils.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If your clutch is engaging too soon then yes that would load the engine.The clutch maybe worn and not disengaging when the throttle is released.If you have a spark tester try it on the plug side trhat was fouling out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not sure if that engine has cdi or points but if points i would check the points and condensers.That is where the spark is being generated [primary]and then to the external coils which you said was replaced with new ones.If the condensers are shorting out to ground that is why the spark is erratic.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
try a different gas mixture. i have one and i use 40:1 and it seems to work pretty good...

·
Registered
162 Posts
jeff the gas mixture that you are using would not make one cylinder foul out and the other burn alright. Did you check the pto side of the engine to see if it is leaking at the crankcase seal{if you spray some brake cleaner or carb cleaner around the seal area the engine will increase in rpm when idiling means you have a leak and if it doesn't seal is good}the seal on the pto side is the one that wears out first because of thew load being caused by the clutch and the heat also.Sorry i forgot to ask what side the plug was fouling on the engine before.Hope this helps you in your trouble shooting of your problem.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would check the clutch's (both) they can make a machine do what you are describing. It could be worn bushings, weak springs, worn rollers, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Iam thinking it is clutching, or worn belt maybe wrong belt. Sounds like secondary or driven clutch not back shifting. So its like a car with manual tranny. Too high gear and it lugs.when sled coasts to stop belt should be even with top of driven pulley or clutch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Snowmobile.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.