Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2010 Polaris 800 dragon just want to know who has won and how reliable they are I've heard mixed things about them don't want to throw my money in the toilet

Super Moderator
I wouldn't UNLESS they've put all the fixes in place on it. The same held true with the 900 Fusion. The 600 was great but the 900 was terrible. Fixes made them both FAR better machines.
And if the guy doesn't know of any fixes then I'd pass on it. They just aren't worth the headache.

Steve

Super Moderator
Don't forget the 2007 big block 700 in 2006... it's a smaller cc 900 engine and that is the ONLY year Polaris used that engine in a snowmobile.

I feel sorry for folks that are trying to get rid of their 900 or the early small block 800's. Polaris really didn't have a good product in either of those engines :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget the 2007 big block 700 in 2006... it's a smaller cc 900 engine and that is the ONLY year Polaris used that engine in a snowmobile.

I feel sorry for folks that are trying to get rid of their 900 or the early small block 800's. Polaris really didn't have a good product in either of those engines :(
Is that why I'm finding so many DRAGONS out there I put a post on Facebook and literally 4 people hit me up with DRAGONS

Super Moderator
The first two years of the 800 small block engine were horrible. Polaris recalled every one of them to replace the head, cylinders, and reflash the ECU. They were burning up big time. Polaris worked at fixes, the after-market worked at fixes, but it took years before Polaris finally had an 800 engine that was a little dependable. Polaris lost a lot of riders over those 800 issues. By 2012, it was better and by 2014 the 800 was a pretty good choice, although not as powerful as Cat or Doo.

So some guys with Dragons are trying to upgrade to a newer chassis with an engine with less problems. And some are trying to get rid of a lemon. Steve suggested making sure updates were done. I would add to that, if they were done, how many miles since the update? Any issues since then?

You pays your money, you takes your chances

Super Moderator
Do has had crank bearing issue I have heard.
The 800 Doo used sealed bearings in there cranks.
Cat has had so REALY good 800's I have 3 of them!
And 2 of the three are EFI!
Cat has really got the EFI Down! They have stayed with it since 91!

Super Moderator
The early Skidoo twin 800's were ok but made a lot of clanking noises and people were scared of them as a result. The twin 800 that came out in 03 started with the sealed grease bearings that pretty much ran all the way up to the 850 release when they got rid of the iso flex grease in favor of oiled bearings again. I personally told my local Skidoo dealer i was not buying anything from them again until they got rid of the sealed grease bearings. As a result I had a 87 Formula Plus a 95 Formula S and a 97 Mxz 670 and that was it. I bought a 04 ZR900 EFI with oiled bearings and have not been back to the Skidoo dealer for anything. I know they don't care but i did like my Skidoo's. I thought they were a great sled. But the 04' 900 EFI was better. I loved it too and put 14,500mi on it and mod'ed the heck out of it. It turned out to be a lot of fun for me too doing it. And man was it FAST! I ran it on the ice in North Bay one year and had it to 120mph. Smooth as glass at that speed. That was pretty amazing. I had a Montana GPS and used the Digital F7 gauge on my modified setup for accuracy of the speedo.

Anyway, if you want a good 800 go with a Cat of any year. If you only like Skidoo I'd go with a 600 or a 500ss (really a 600) as those were good sleds too but the engines did break. The cat (Suzuki) engine was stone cold reliable all the way up till the crank would work loose at 15,000 mi. (or so as reported by many)

Steve (currently on a ZR8000lxr see it at my webpage below)

Super Moderator
I would love to Find a ZR900efi I would love to put the 1035 Hooper in it.
I am not aware of John doing an EFI an wana be the first!
I have toyed with putting it in my Pantera, but not enough room for those huge Jaws pipes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts