Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked this up cheap last year ,got it for the kids to use works great out of the gate. starts real easy and works good cold but after you ride it for a half hour or so it heats the plug on clutch side and starts loosing power. Check plugs and the one of them is really hot ,have tried hotter plugs still does the same. if i put a new plug in start it up and go again for another bit but trouble keeps recurring. Have adjusted the needle in the carb up and down ,does anyone have any suggestions ,thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Runniing lean on that cylinder. Air leak at the crankseal on that side. The seal needs replaced. Don't run it too much until that is replaced. I would do a compression test on that cylinder to see if it been damaged to much by running it like that. If it has, then you might as well do the top end while you're doing the seals.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
What do the plugs look like? Spray starting fluid/carb cleaner behind the clutch, it is the test to find leaks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yup when ya have it running spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner on the crank seal to see if it dies down

·
Registered
470 Posts
yup when ya have it running spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner on the crank seal to see if it dies down
The idle won't "die down", it will speed up if the seals bad and you spray starting fluid at the seal. In this case, the 79 Citation is a single carb sled and since the problem is the PTO side cylinder overheating due to a lean condition, it points to the PTO side crank seal, which is usually the first crank seal to go because of the stresses it under goes from the weight and force of the primary clutch on that side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys will have to run a test i guess,the engine had new seals and bearings installed before i bought it maybe it wasn't a good job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts