Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an odd problem. Normally I have it where the sleds are hard to start but once started they are fine. This sled is the opposite when it is cold. Fires right up usually first or second pull. Idles nice and high. Once warmed up though it won't idle at all. It bogs way down and it seems that it is running way rich. I have to hold the throttle open a decent amount and keep feathering it to keep it going. Once down the trails it runs great as long as you keep it about 1/2 throttle.

I already cleaned out the carb but that didn't help any. Also I have the idle screw all the way in. The mixture screw doesn't seem to change anything. The choke seems to work just fine. What else should I be looking for?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 79 jag had the same trouble i replaced all the fuel lines from tank to carb used clamps on all lines and replaced fuel filter runs great i dont know if this will help but good luck. also cleaned fuel pump

·
Registered
477 Posts
How many turns out is your idle mixture screw? Maybe you need to adjust your throttle cable to. If your throttle cable is out of adjustment that will throw everything off. Is it a mikuni round slide carb?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have you made sure the plunger in the enrichment circuit (choke) isn't sticking. Take it apart and check that it's moving freely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
zr teeth, how should a throttle cable be adjusted? I'm having similar troubles with an 80 pantera. It seems like the slides (round) are closing when the throttle is closed on mine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
On top of your carb where the cable goes in you will see a long threaded piece (3/4") with a jam nut on it that screws down into the carb cap. That will adjust one way or the other depending on which way you need to go. Usually a good indicator is you should have some play on your thumb throttle. 1/16" or so before the carb slide starts to move. Now if you have 2 carbs they have to be sincronized. Which means your cable slack needs to be right as well as both carb slides need to move at exactly the same time and in the same position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Potentially, could this cable being adjusted too short not allow the needle to seat properly, and therefore let in too much fuel? Or would this just effect the air flow during idle? It really seems like I get too much fuel moving through my carb.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I got it fixed! Never thought of playing with the throttle linkage. Mine was too tight which caused it to not let it go all the way down. This made sense since messing with the idle screw made no difference. So I put the needle back to the middle notch were it was and loosened up the throttle cable. When I started it it revved way up. Backed out the idle screw and leaned out the mixture and all seems good. Got to get some more time to ride it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts