Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got specs for an '77 SRX.. my oncle had one of those...with a fuel tank for 130 octane aviation fuel and a spiked track and coolant filled blades for skis..he converted it to normal trail skis but kept the track and the mukunis 44 mm and the aviation fuel ...its supposed to be a an untamed beast... and few were made like this.. supossedly made for ice drag..

anyway can someone confirm the existence fo those "rare beasts" ??
i'm sceptical a bit about the performance of this machine.

Fr0sT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I don't know much about the 77's, only that they were supposed to be the fastest of the older years of SRX's. But I used to own and 78 and I now own a 79 and those machines are just crazy. I can take anything up to 700's, including F-7's with my old SRX. I've even taken a T-cat 1000 on an ice drag.
So yeah, they are untamed beasts at the least!

·
Registered
29 Posts
the 1977 srx was built for oval racing. there was an optinal gyt kit for them that included circle m fuel injectors. hp was in the 98-100 hp range at 9800 rpm. It had a 2 gallon gas tank and weighed 338 lbs.It was and as far as i know still is banned from racing in isr sanctioned events. it was a political thing. no other sled could beat it when properly tuned and with a good driver on it. Truely one of the fastest production sleds of its time. still deadly as a drag sled. if they allow you to race it! here is a pic of one http://www.vintagesleds.com/treasure/findingsleds/77SRX/77srx.htm

AS a sidenote in 1978 yamaha built the SSR. Production numbered around 100 of these rare sleds. It had the same engine as the 77 srx but had independent front suspension,of a style that was not re- introduced until the late 90s
http://www.vintagesleds.com/collections/mikefarris/yamaha/1978.htm

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fast cat

omg!

and i sat on one of those when i was 4 years old!

so they are incredible as i have heard

my oncly had convert it to trail sled and would stop at sled bars and ask if any would like to take him on a drag just for fun, now i know why.

the guy he sold it to died 3 weeks after , he ran UNDER a car
thanx for the info

fr0st

1 - 4 of 4 Posts