Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok having a problem i started my 77 scorpion range whip 400 the other day and it ran fantastic! now the son of a bing wont even start! gets spark has good compression and is gettin fuel! is it possible that my crank case got flooded? or the carb? is there anyway to drain the crank case? Thanks guys for all you do! It wont even start with a lil starting fluid!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 1974 Arctic Cat Panther. I took the plugs out and cranked with a rag over the plug holes so gas wouldn't go everywhere. Blew out the cylinders with air, repeated... Then reinstalled the plugs and cranked. Took the plugs out blew them off so they were dry and repeated the cranking... I did this about 5 times until it started to kick over. As soon as it did I found I had an issue with the fuel pump. But now it will start... I just have to rebuild the pump. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your method wouldnt drain out the crank case tho but thanks i will try. any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
That would be an easy way to do it, there is not that much volume in the base and there are no drain plugs like Poo used.
Your only other option is to just remove the plugs and hold the throttle wide open and crank it till no more mist comes out of the holes.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
I had one of those in 1980, that Cuyuna engine with the walbro carb was a royal PAIN! for me. I hope Its just flooded, but mine ate pistons+burped out seals many a time. If it is bad, save time+money get a different engine for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Actually pulling out the plugs and cranking it over does work. If you pull good enough, the vacume in the engine will pull the fuel up through the transfer ports then out of the sparkplug holes and exhaust ports. That will get most of it anyway.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That would be an easy way to do it, there is not that much volume in the base and there are no drain plugs like Poo used.
Your only other option is to just remove the plugs and hold the throttle wide open and crank it till no more mist comes out of the holes.
Hmmm. I'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't ever recall you being wrong before, but I know that the JLO twins I had in some early Cats and Masseys had drain plugs. Maybe when they started putting 6 head bolts per cyl they deleted the plugs.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
What I wish I had tryed on mine looking back, is switching from the walbro carb to the mikuni carb that the sting model used, my friend had that sled+It was much more reliable. It was a 32mm or a 34mm I think, RJ might have the specks for the jetting. this carb on Ebay is cheap nowadays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping you could help me with a question i have? i have 79 scropion whip 440 with a cuyuna engine sled was given to me and i am trying to get it running. it had a hole in the piston. A friend replaced the pistons and (seals we believe). We cant get a strong pulse from engine to fuel pump, the fuel wont pump all the way up to the carb, tried a different fuel pump and same result, another friend said maybe the center seal on crank may be out. When u said the cuyuna eats pistons and blows seals are you talking about a center seal on crank? or is it oil seals elsewhere? my friend who did engine work said he definatly did not do anything with center seal because he would have had to send crank out and couldnt remember if there was an actual seal or if it was machined into the crankcase (he did this work a couple of years ago). He said whatever the seal was if he thought it was bad he wouldnt have put the engine back together he doesnt think the fuel pump issue is related to center seal on crank. when you blew seals out did you have similar problems getting fuel all the way to the carb? the sled runs if you put fuel into cylinders but it wont pump the fuel. Did you experience any of these difficulties? Thanks for any help or advice you give us

note: we changed fuel pickup and filter inside the fuel tank, no difference

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think 77scorpion got the fuel pump to pick fuel up by putting a little bit of mixed gas down the cylinder.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup its up and running! ended up turning up the idle and i had a car dolly under the track well it kicked it out and shattered a window that was laying twenty feet from it lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Old Cat floods every so often and I find the quickest crankcase dry out is to just pull the impulse line off the engine and crank it. I will blow fuel all over so if your fussy about not bursting into flames you may want to hold a rag over the impulse hole.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
the seals mine kept blowing out was the pto side seal. if this was not replaced with your pistons you will soon know! they always run the best just before they BLOW good luck, if it has the walbro carb. luck is not enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts