Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a complete restore on a 1977 John Deere Liquifire 440. It was my first one and to be honest I don't know a whole lot, still learning. I completely rebuilt the engine new pistons, gaskets, rings. It seems to run great. My only problem is that it seems to bog taking off, once I get my speed up the engine will open up but it doesn't want to get up and take off out of the hole. Now I was wondering if this would be more of a clutch/spring/weight problem or a carb issue. The only things I did to the carbs and clutch were clean them really well, I also balanced the carbs, but didn't tinker with them at all besides that. I'm not totally sure but I'm thinking I want the clutch to grab a little later so would I want to try a lighter set of weights? Or a new spring? Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Did you remove the pilot jets and run a wire threw them before cleaning?
How old is your belt? How tight is it? How do the plugs look? How much oil are you using?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs are new, oil is 50:1, belt was old, I suspected it might be that so I switched the belt out with a new one. I didn't touch the jets at all. I'm gonna take it for a spin after work and see if the new belt helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts