Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find parts for my '75 Suzuki Fury. It uses almost all of the same mechanical parts as the '75 Arctic Cat El Tigre, just has the larger 440 with dual carbs and expansion chambers. Well, 431 anyways. I need new rings and a clutch, the current clutch is siezed, and the rings are worn out. Also, the bolt holding the clutch on is rusted on pretty good, considering it hasnt been removed in 29 years. Any tips on getting it off? I would rather do it now before I re-assemble the engine. Thanks for any input. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smallengineguy said:
Try here first. They have a lot of older stuff.

Al's

Is the engine apart yet?
Sorry for the delay, I havent been on here lately. I rebuilt the engine and its back in the chassis now. All I need to get running is fuel line, a trip to the hardware store to fix some rusted and snapped nuts/bolts, and a clutch. We got our first snowfall last night, its getting pretty depressing not being able to find a clutch. :(

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Nothing from Al's? You should be able to get a new one through Comet, maybe model 94-C or 102-C. Does it have a tapered crank?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smallengineguy said:
Nothing from Al's? You should be able to get a new one through Comet, maybe model 94-C or 102-C. Does it have a tapered crank?
I havent taken the clutch off yet, the bolt is rusted on pretty good. I used alot of penetrating oil, let it sit, and it still wouldnt budge. I'll try one more idea.

Does Comet have a website? I think the same clutch as the '75 El Tigre 440 should fit, considering its a Suzuki.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Try this:

Comet Clutches

Let me know the model once you verify that it is definitely the one and I may be able to get it for you cheaper since I have 2 distributors for my shop.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smallengineguy said:
Try this:

Comet Clutches

Let me know the model once you verify that it is definitely the one and I may be able to get it for you cheaper since I have 2 distributors for my shop.
Im looking into that right now, i'll let you know in a few. I really appreciate this help, thanks much! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do these clutches run? If its a few hundred, I dont know if its really worth it on a sled that I bought for 40 bucks. Im assuming a new clutch is going to be more than the cost of the sled if it was in mint condition. :p If all else fails, is there any way I can fix the stuck clutch thats on currently? Im still looking into the Comet clutch though, if its not that expensive I might get one.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Around $250 for a 102-C. You need to get that bolt out, then you can separate the sheaves and get it freed up or rebuilt.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The 108 EXP and 108 4-Pro are more race ready clutches. More tuneable, heavier castings, etc. But pricewise they're about the same as the 102-C.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I screwed if the clutch doesnt fit?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If you buy the wrong one, you will be screwed. You NEED to find what kind of shaft the engine has to match the clutch to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
smallengineguy said:
If you buy the wrong one, you will be screwed. You NEED to find what kind of shaft the engine has to match the clutch to it.
I managed to chuck the recoil bell while the engine is in the sled, so the crank shouldnt turn no matter how much hell I give it. Someone "borrowed" my breaker bar, grr.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Hopefully you can get the clutch bolt out and remove the sheave, then maybe you can rebuild the springs, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much play should there be in the clutch, I can move it about 1/2'' disengaged.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts