Snowmobile Forum banner

'74 El Tigre 400 engine runs poor. Need pointers.

2K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  kccats 
#1 ·
I've got a 1982 Polaris TX-C 440 chassis with a 1974 Kawasaki 400 engine from a '74 El Tigre. Both were free! I am trying to make a sled I can putt around on on the cheap side.

• Top end looks good
  • Good compression (I don't have a tester but it feels real good on the recoil)
  • New spark plugs
  • New fuel lines
  • New fuel filter
  • New fuel pump (diaphragm)
  • Amsoil 40:1 fuel ratio (for starters)
  • Cleaned the fuel tank
  • Cleaned up the carbs real nice
NEED ADVICE!

Guys it starts hard. If I am able to get it going, it wants to die. To keep it running I have to feather the throttle. If I floor it, it bogs and wants to die. If I don't lean into the throttle hard enough, it also wants to die.

While managing to keep the engine alive, I took some starter fluid and sprayed it at the crank seal on the PTO side. No change. I sprayed it at the right carb boot. No change. I sprayed it at the left carb boot... And suddenly the engine picked up and ran really well. It seemed to have power. I ordered a new boot for that side.

Little side note: my fuel lines have a few air bubbles in them... I think I should do a better job of bleeding them. Maybe some compressed air through the breather port on the fuel tank?

What more should I look for?

See less See more
#32 ·
Yep, it's not like I don't believe you when you say that I need the dual fuel pump... I personally have to try and see what's what first before going and buying a different one. I had 'er wide open today, and honestly it was... Almost like it had a bog at wide open throttle. Very likely the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.