Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

This is my first post to this forum and I've found some valuable information here, but the sled still has no spark.

My 1972 Scorpion Stinger III (This is the 400cc CCW motor with the Walbro carb) has no spark. The sled ran last 2 years ago, but had issues staying running (which i believed were due to bad lines & a dirty carb not pulling fuel.

I have since cleaned and regapped the points to within the recommended .0012-.0016, as well as tested the kill switch. After we cleaned the points and went to start it up, it had spark for a second, the motor stumbled and died. Since then we have observed no spark whatsoever.

I'm looking for suggestions on what I can check or change next. Does anyone know if common parts of the ignition system go bad? coils or condensors,or where I could get replacement parts? I'm not opposed to spending money to have this sled running strong as I got it for free and really love it it's a blast to ride and its suprisingly pretty fast even with 2 people on it. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The sled has about 4300 miles on it, so it really hasnt been ridden a lot, even the original track is on it.

I did not replace the condensors or the points, (just cleaned them) as i have no idea where i can get them. do you have any suggestions on where I could get some? I would definitely be willing to order replacement parts. I'm not new to small engines, or snowmobiles in general, as I worked at a dealer as a mechanic before. I'm just having trouble with this sled being sort of an oddball.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help and information regarding the scorpion. I ended up getting another motor for $75 which had new coils and wires. I regapped the points and swapped the motor out and it runs now. I have cleaned up/"rebuilt" the carburetor and set the little lever according to the manual. It has the Walbro WDA-2 carb.

After cleaning the carb and bolting it on, a quick prime will get the motor to fire right up. It runs for about 5 minutes then it will die out. if you pump the primer "bulb" again down by the tank to get fuel back to the carb, and prime it using the primer on the cowl then it will again fire up and run great for only a minute. It seems to me as if the carb is having problems pulling fuel. In your experience, do these carburetors have issues with the diaphrams, struggle pulling fuel and get tired? I am going to order a rebuild for the carb but just wanted to get opinions on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a new fuel filter in the mail and rebuild parts coming for the carb. the filter which i had on it was not clogged, just old. the feed line going to the carb is new as well. i also checked to make sure the in-tank check valve/filter would flow, and it was fine.

the only thing which is questionable are the grommets where the fittings press into the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts