Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 35 years of no sledding, I decided to acquire a nice classic, so I purchased a 1972 Arctic Cat Puma 340. It runs but not well. A Walbro carb was installed on it, and the original Tillotson HD62A came with it. I rebuilt the Tillotson, had it tested, and when installed it runs but is very difficult to start and won’t idle down once the engine in warm. Although it’s a little easier to start with the Walbro carb, once warmed up it wants to stall out when it idles down.

Unless I’m heading in the wrong direction, this points to leaking crank seals, particularly the centre one. I’m told that the pre-1974 340 Kawasaki engines had problems with the centre seals that resulted in the problems I have. I’ve also learned that in some cases the original one-piece centre crank seal can be replaced with a two-piece seal.
  • Does anyone know if parts are available for the 1972 340 Kawasaki motor – crank seals, pistons, rings, gasket set, etc., and if available, where?
  • Would it be better to replace the 340 with a 400 or 440?
  • Is there are better choice of replacement engine, e.g. something 2-5 years newer that will just drop in as a replacement?
Thanks for any information and suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome I would go threw it and replace the pistons and seals
Yes, if the motor is opened up I agree it’s best to do pistons, rings, etc at the same time. But, where can the seals, pistons, rings, etc. be purchased?

·
Registered
140 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts