Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ridden the t660 with a turbo yet? I'm not convinced it's the wave of the future but it would be nice not to have to pay $30.00 a gallon for 2 stroke every weekend. Sounds never been an issue to me so I don't care how quiet it is. I kind of like the sound of the Rx1 though. Understand there is some turbo lag that can be an issue when we are all used to hammering out of the hole.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I agree, i like the sound of the RX1 too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I have ridden the new turbo 660 it's a nice sled and all but you are right about the turbo lag. Somedays there is none and somedays there is a lot. But whatever my zr580 still kills it!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sure like my T660. I have the 2 up model and that Cat has mega guts!!! Nice not to have to add that oil. Turbo lag...notice none when I am up and moving. When I first start out from a stop the belt does grab...but I am not a throttle sitter and notice no difference from my Pantera 2 stroke, except the quite and clean ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the chance to test ride a T660 Turbo up in the northern adirondacks this past weekend. All I can say is WOW! Anybody who has not run one should NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT UNTIL THEY DO! This sled totally surprised me! It would eat my 2002 AC 600 EFI for lunch! In fact, it held it's own to my buddies RX-1, granted the RX-1 still beat it, but to just run with it is an accomplishment IMO. Talk about a torque monster!! I am trying to decide between the RX-1 and T660 Turbo because no matter what, I want out of the 2 strokes, been breathing that crap for 15 years now and i'm sick of it. I think i'm leaning toward the T660, it just feels reals nice and is really quiet.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
last weekend a person I was sledding with got his up to 114mph in less than a 1/4 mile.....I think he figures about 120mph to be its top speed (speedo readings)

·
Registered
88 Posts
If elevation is high enough, those other sleds will lose power where the turbo won't.Might very well outrun ANY 600 2 stroke, if you get high enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MXZSKI,

If you are implying that I cannot ride my ZL to it's utmost potential you are sadly mistaken. This is my 3rd year with this sled and I have logged over 5000 miles with it. If there is anybody that knows how to get the most out of MY sled, it's me. And I will tell you right now, the T660 Turbo will outrun it. My ZL will get it off the line of course due to the turbo lag, but after that it's lights out.

I can't wait to start hearing how the 600 2 strokers can't believe they are getting whooped by the T660 Turbo. That should make for some interesting conversation.

It is for real guys!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Turbo 660 is a real sleeper! Dyno runs have put horsepower anywhere from 110 - 115. Although a little heavier than some comparable 2-strokes, the thing flat out rips for a 4 stroke sled!!

I know a stock ZR 580 didn't kill this sled, no way no how!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out the new 2005 Rage from yamaha, and the 2 new venture models. All three are 3 cylinder 4 stroke motors rated at 120hp. The Rage has the same rear suspention as the RX1 and all share the same chassy as the RX1. Thats 4 four stroke models performance models for yamaha.

·
Registered
170 Posts
DynoTech Research dynoed a 2001 ZR600 EFI and found it made MAX HP of 98.9 hp @ 8000 RPM.

The 2002 ZR600 EFI made MAX HP of 107.7 hp @ 8300 RPM. This was due to AC changing the RPM at which the APV's opened, and other monor tweaks.

The 2005 T660 was dynoed at 114.6 hp @ 7200 RPM

Thats a 15.7 hp more for the T660 than the '01 ZR 600 EFI. Although hp doesn't always win the race, the Amsnow Shoot Out held last fall saw the T660 hang with all the new 2004 600's, except the F6, which blew the doors off it.

I don't know 1000' times for the ZR 600EFI, but am sure it is considerably less than the 2004 600's. So it stands to reason if the T660 will stay with the 2004 600's, it should not have any problem beating a STOCK 2001 ZR 600 EFI. It won't blow its doors off, but should beat it by a length or two.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
MXZSKI said:
Mine is carb and will beat the T660 Turbo, this weekend, That thing is a tank.... Turbo Shrubo
Speed is not the point of the Turbo. They are really a nice ride. I have never ridden one, but a local dealer up here was talking to me about the 2005 Turbo because he just got one in. Apparently when you let off the gas he said you barely know its running. I don't know about you guys, but a quite ride that like sounds good to me. Heck I'll never have a 4 stroke sled for a while because of the weight, but for trail cruising I bet they are awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It will only be a matter of time before people realize that 4 strokes are for real. They will realize as soon as they are passed by one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cobra said:
Speed is not the point of the Turbo. They are really a nice ride. I have never ridden one, but a local dealer up here was talking to me about the 2005 Turbo because he just got one in. Apparently when you let off the gas he said you barely know its running. I don't know about you guys, but a quite ride that like sounds good to me. Heck I'll never have a 4 stroke sled for a while because of the weight, but for trail cruising I bet they are awesome.
this is just it, these babies werent built as performance sleds like the zrs, they are performance touring machines, made to be a powerful, comfotable ride. and at 25mpg who can complain, its cheaper as far as gas and oil, een if you run amsoil 0w30 in it at 30 bux a gallon its still cheaper than buring up 30 bucks worth of 2 stroke oil every weekend

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cobra said:
IF you are concerned about the weight, you should check out the Yamaha RS models. I just read aoubt them and the motor is 25lbs lighter than the RX1 motor, and the sled total weight is the same weight as the 2 stroke SX Viper ER. The Three cylinder 4 stroke motor is rated at 120hp at the track. Whether we like it or not, these sleds a being developed to take over the 2 strokes. Or at least force the 2 strokes to develope with better emissions in mind. Really, this is the first year that they are getting serious about it. Just think where they are going to be in 2 more years. Oh, and wait til the T990 comes out late in the 2005 season. Have you seen it yet, I have... Just wish I could remember where it leaked out at...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts