Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 650 RXL that dogs when going from a dead stop. It kinda feels like it's getting flooded out when I nail it from a dead stop. Once I get moving a bit (5mph or so) it kicks in and moves along fine.

Once I stop it does the same thing again.

I did notice that it is worse when its cold. The other day it was 25 below and it took a lot longer, about a block, before it would quit dogging. Today its about 10 degrees and it only takes about 5 or 10 feet.

Once I get going its fine, I can slow down to 5 or 10 MPH and nail it and its fine. If I go from a dead stop it dogs.

What are some things I can do to figure out what the proble is?

I pulled the belt off and it still dogs when you nail it from idle so I am guessing it going to be fuel or spark. I changed the plugs this fall so I dont think it could be the plugs.

I a going to double check the gap, but I dont know if that would cause a problem like this.

Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I dont know what it could be. but i do know that they had a lot of problems with the RXL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My buddy just had this same problem. Although this was on a 91 carb'ed 650, not FI. So I'm not sure if this will help. His problem was fuel. He had the same problem as you, it sorta went at super turtle speed for a while and then it kicked in. One of his cylinders was way out of wack, it was super lean. After he adjusted the cylinder, and got all of the carb's synched, he's all good to go. I'm not sure what you can do since your's is fuel injected, I'm not familiar with FI at all so I'm not really sure what you can do in the adjustment department. Just my 10 yen, hope this helps

Patrick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it might be fuel. I got to take it out on the lake tonite and I kept it up around 80 for a couple miles at a time and the problem seems to be going a way a bit. I was out for about 3 or 4 hours and opened it up as much as I could for as long as I could.

I let it sit during the superbowl and when I went out to load it up, it was right there. There was no dogging.

I usually use premium in it as much as I can. Should I be running ejector cleaner or some sort of fuel stabilizer like seafoam?

·
Registered
96 Posts
check your idle. Sometimes by just bringing up idle will help. Sleds should be idleing around 1500 to 2000 RPM. That should help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this thing totally hogging fuel? For some reason that's what my bud's was doing when it had the problem I described,

Patrick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if its hogging fuel or not. I have never kept track of how many miles I get to the tank. I will have to start doing that I guess.

I was out for about 3 or 4 hours total and I burned through 3/4 of a tank or so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WEll thats not that bad. This thing musta been spitting it out of the exhaust. No exaggeration. We went only 20-30 miles that night, and it was on empty. Now thats like 2-3 mpg:eek:

Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts