Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chain is starting to jump on the sled. How hard are these to replace? Can i take out a link and run it with the auto tensioner. Please help, lots of snow on the ground. Dave

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Can't take a link out. The teeth on the sprockets are worn as well. You always replace as a set. Order the top/bottom gears, chain, new gasket, and a bottle of chain oil. Should be all set. They might need the tooth count for each sprocket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip but i checked the chain and gears and they look good, so its something else. It feels like the clutch slipping, but only does it at almost full throttle. Belt looks good, and track looks adjusted right. Any suggestions. Dave

P.S the clutch is new

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chain is tight. New track, clutch, and belt. Cogs look great on drive. Runs fine unless I get on the throttle really hard. Then it sounds like the track slipping on the cogs. Need help. I'm stumped!:( Thanks for all the tips already.:)

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There should be no more than one inch between the track and the sliders with a 16 lb weight hanging off the track. Make sure there's no more space than that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is no more than a inch. And everything looks good. But something is slipping under hard throttle.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
OK, This isn't the most orthodox thing to do, but I've done it and it works. Get a broom handle, etc and jamb the track so it won't spin. Then lift it up if you want and get close to the track or chaincase and run it. Hammer it quickly and see if it slips. That's how I found the bad sprocket on my bud's Cougar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After lots of trouble shooting I narrowed the problem down. Now she's back to running perfect and once again lifting the skis righ tup. Thanks a bunch Small Engine Guy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No the chain and sprockets are in excellent condition. The good thing about searching for this problem is I found out I really do have a brand new sled everthing has been replaced and is in immaculate condition. After running out of ideas I figured it had to be the cogs that drove the track. I tightend the track tight. Ran it with no slipping, but had some bogging. So I went back and loosened it up a few turns and WALA!! My sled runs perfect again! I think this sled just needs to run a pretty tight track. Thanks for all the help. I'll try yo get some pics. Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts