Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a 617 rave worth 75 dollars? he said it ran good before takin out. COMPLETE MOTOR. carbs coils everything. Would it get spark without any wires to it so i could check spark? Thnaks

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
most definately worth 75, any sled is worth 75 for parts alone.

and what do you mean will it get spark without any wires to it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's not in a sled, it's just the motor. The previous owner said it ran fine until he took it out.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
what year is it?

i still think 75 is a great deal, if the engine is in ok shape and runs then id say do it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well the owner "said" it ran before it was taken out. So 77scorpion wanted to know if it would get spark without being hooked up in a sled.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
how would you do that?

wouldnt you need the wires that connect to the stator (i think thats what its called)

seems to me like you need alot of the parts in the sled to make spark.

but i could be wrong.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
You should be able to check for spark as long as you have the coils.

DEFINITELY buy this motor. The 617s are one of the best rotax motors ever made and RAVE is a definite plus. I've seen mini bike motors go for more. If you can find a better deal for a snowmobile engine, you're in paradise. Just make sure to check the compression.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
how would you do that?

wouldnt you need the wires that connect to the stator (i think thats what its called)

seems to me like you need alot of the parts in the sled to make spark.

but i could be wrong.
Based on what he said I think he has everything he needs. The other wires are for minor things like lights, killswitch, etc.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
well, yeah there are alot of extra wires but if hes checking for spark in the plugs (which doesnt make sense to me now, why would he put plugs in a bare engine?) you need those wires that connect to them, for me they go to a box ontop of my airbox.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
You're talking about the coils. He has those. He wants to check the spark by putting the plugs in the coils (but not in the cylinders) and grounding them on the metal on the head of the engine, then pulling the engine over.

·
Registered
385 Posts
He got the motor complete with exhaust and airbox. Then when we got there we found out he had a whole chassis for $50. Too bad we took a car lol. It had everything with it, but the hood had a patch in the front(it's better then the hood currently on his sled). The track was in excellent condition with about 3/4-1 inch of tread.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
3/4 of an inch is not bad at all for a $50 sled! my bearcat has like 1/4 inch left on it hahaha. and when it comes to patching hoods you can just rivet a piece of aluminum to it, its not like your trying to win a best of show competition or something

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya it's not bad, but we didn't ask if he had the chassis. So we got there and saw it and asked if it was for sale and he said for $50. As for the hood it was already patched up.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
i would turn around and go get the chassis full sled for 125 not bad could part for a ton more

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya I think he was going to pick it up. The only bad thing is it's an hour and a half drive. He doesn't have a truck and mine gets 12 mpg.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
Ya it's not bad, but we didn't ask if he had the chassis. So we got there and saw it and asked if it was for sale and he said for $50. As for the hood it was already patched up.
oh thats not bad at all.

and since its so damn cheap you dont have to worry about making it look pretty and whatnot

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
I'd go for the whole sled in a heartbeat! You don't see too many 91/92 mach 1s around anymore and it would be a nice project. If you can get another parts sled you'd be making a steal. And if not, you could get your money back and then some for parts. I saw a 92 617 engine only with 1k miles on denniskirk for almost $1000. Just goes to show how nice those engines are.

What was the chassis missing? (Other than the motor now obviously)

·
Registered
385 Posts
It had something broke in the front suspension. The guy said they didn't make the part anymore. Also the hood was dark grey or silver I think. And I have never seen a Mach 1 hood that color.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts