Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tested the engine on my 600 mxz and found it to have only 50 psi on 1 cylinder and 85 on the other so i plan on rebuilding my first engine. I have a manual but can someone tell me about the reed valves and what is rave? also how do i know if the cylinders are plated or not. any Advice will help alot.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Your in over your head. Get physical help.
Reed valves are under the intake boots, pull them out nothing to worry bout.
RAVE is Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice . I have a good mechnical background working on cars it should get me along ways through this rebuild.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Someone on here should know about whether there nicasil plated or not, perhaps the year may help? As for the rebuild you should be able to pull it off, everyone has to have a first. Just remember like stang said cageless bearings, so make sure to put something under the pistons so nothing including circlips fall down into the crankcase.

·
I just fix 'em...
1,045 Posts
Cast iron bore.
Be sure to place rags around the connecting rod to prevent any of the wrist pin rollers from falling into the bottom end as you remove the wrist pin. After boring the cylinders the RAVE valve must be checked to be sure it does not protrude into the cylinder. Use a new piston ring placed squarely in the bore to check the clearance between the RAVE valve and ring. Grind the valve as needed to obtain at least .020" clearance.

Jerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i should just be able to hone the cilinder walls and clen them up before i rebuild it if there is no scoring. im puting a top end in it as well as main and rod bearings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts