Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Indy 500 Classic Touring that melted down twice three years ago due to a bad check valve in the oil line. This was at 600 miles, had it bored out .020+ oversized and was running fine for the last 475 miles then locked up doing 55+mph. It never came to a stop but kept on going without dying. Luckily this was within a 1/4 mile from home. Pulled the plugs and they were the same on both sides, nice and brown. Looked at the top of the pistons and the mag side was like brand new. Clutch side was pitted slightly the size of a dime right in the center. Both pistons were clean as can be, just like new. Motor turns over just fine and idles normally. What would cause this to happen? I do know that I ran about a tank of 87 octane without thinking about the oxygenated thing. Also, as far as I know the main jets are still stock. Please help me out here as I would hate to do anything that would further my problem. Thanks!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Check the rubber boot that connects the carb to the engine, it sounds like that side is running lean, you could be sucking extra air through a crack in the boot, causing a hot condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check the rubber boot. What do you know about jetting in relationship to the amount of boring? Is there a standard guideline to follow?

·
Registered
5 Posts
tips

hey man check the chain case and see if the chain broke and fot and got tangled up in side. that would most likley cause the track to lock up but keep the engine running fine. also look and the secondary cluth (the big one) make sure that it is moveing properley and look in side the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts