Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys this is my first post. Pry didnt do this right but oh well. I have a 1986 Indy trail. I just converted it over to an xtra 10 suspension and a 136 inch track. Heres where the problems come. After the longer track is installed i can barely climb a hill. Its like i have no power. But when i first fire it up after been sitting outside for a bit, the sled is nuts cant keep traction on packed snow wants to go sideways. Its just a completely different sled whens its not completely warmed up. Once i ride for around 5 to 10 min it just falls on its face. There is no power. Any help will do thanks Oh i have been told it could be the belt getting too hot. After riding pretty hard the belt doesnt seem to be too terribly hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks yea i noticed the buildup on the center of the shaft but didnt know if that would cause it thanks alot

·
Registered
315 Posts
how about the gearing ? did you ever take into consideration you are going have to change the gearing, as it was engineered for a short track? i would gear it down a bit and see how that does , it will probably suprise you . the clutch is set up for a short track too, you may need to change weights and/or spring .
here is good example, i had a short track phazer (118), it would do near 70mph.
now i have a long track phazer II (136), it will only do about 50 mph ,but it is a goat, the thing is almost unstoppable, its so light and floats so well its really fun to ride , just not fast ,,,,same size engine in both,
gearing is way different , clutching is different too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i geared it down which didnt help it actually left the line a bit faster but i could only go around 35-45 im thinking the clutch might be going out.. pry need to rebuild it.. it has a polaris performance spring in it which engages at 4000rpm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also was told to try setting the neddle at different settings.... i think i have it on the second from the bottom which its ran the best on that setting.. ordered a new belt hoping that may help... this weeked i will tear the clutch apart and see what i find

1 - 7 of 7 Posts