Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got some snow today and this raider handles so much better with new hard-weld ski runners, no joke, probably the equivelant of a indy car for snowmobiles. i set the carb just like any other carb/engine right? start with the idle screw 1 turn out, adjust while running for best idle, and for high end just play with it and run it, correct? i rode it for about a half hour tonight, it really didnt like low RPM at first, it took a LONG time to get it up and finally move, but accelerated well once it was moving. it got better the more i drove it but it still probably is not right, i figured running it must help as the the sled has only sat for 1 year, but the engine has sat since 96.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You'll have to adjust the low speed screw (one on top) in or out until get-up improves, then get some time on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so screw on top is for low speed, screw on side closed to engine his high speed?

was thinking screw on top was high speed and screw on side closed to engine was low speed.

the sled moves well once you get the RPMS picked up. when i first start it i have a HECK of a time to even get it moving to ride it. i have to keep choking it to start it, take choke off, wants to die, choke it for a second and then picks up RPM quick again, but this is crap, you gotta do it for ten minutes and it still wont stop. the low end of the carb needs adjustment badly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot again SEG, raider will be much funner once i can blast it from a complete stop, thats one of the three best things about it!!! acceleration, handeling, and warmth

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahha, that was the trick. i was getting ticked off when i coudlnt even get it to start, and after i was huffing and puffing trying to catch my breath, i realized i had shut the fuel valve off earlier to keep it from flooding out over night (gas tank is higher than engine). so it quit spitting and sputtering, fired up, set low end and i woudlnt be surprised if it'll outrun the GT to 50MPH.

·
Registered
427 Posts
smallengineguy said:
Yup, low speed is on the top. Open it more to get more fuel to it.
Thats funny. I thought sure that all the top mounted needles on Walbro carbs were for the high speed/power circuit. Thats what it seemed like when I used to adjust one all the time.

Hmmm. I see here in my Chiltons manual that the top is power and the left side is idle. If it has two on the side the one furthest from the engine is power and the one closest to the engine is for idle mixture.

Oh well. You seem pretty sure of yourself. So you are probably right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts