Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the market for a 3rd sled this year. I'm still looking for the used market to pick up, but I am thinking of just buying a new Z440 LX at this point. We are family riding, don't need any high cc machines, and already own a 370 and 570. The difference between the 370 and 570 is like night and day with regard to power, but I like riding the 370 on tight trails more because it is so light and nimble. My daughter will get the 370 this year and the 2up 570 will probably be ridden by my wife, since most likely she will have a passenger (daughter likes to bring a friend). So the new sled is for me. I wanted a Z570 but the wife thinks I will kill myself on it, she has a point, I tend to drive the limits of a machine. I'm 46 and can't afford to get hurt. So will a 440 give me any noticable ooomph over a 370? I don't care about top speed, I just want to know if I can expect a bit more torque out of an additional 70 cc's.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
547 Posts
i have a 1982 skidoo cititation its a 368 cc motor and my friend has a 1983 yamaha excel3 440 and it is way fu**en faster...beats me off the line and by the end he is still way ahead of me.. so yah theres a big diff between them..

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
ya old sleds rule, some of those 340tx's are unbelievabley fast, the new ones definitely don;t have jam that the older small ones did, a friend has a 340 tx that will just kill my our 370 haha. You don't tihnk you would be ok on a 570? My dad rides a 600 and my sister and mother find it easier to handle than the 370, very well balanced and you can usually keep out of trouble (getting stuck). i would go with the 570.

·
Registered
547 Posts
HiLLbEllYcustom said:
i have a 1982 skidoo cititation its a 368 cc motor and my friend has a 1983 yamaha excel3 440 and it is way fu**en faster...beats me off the line and by the end he is still way ahead of me.. so yah theres a big diff between them..
yah the thing i like about the old sleds is there light..and if u roll it down a hill or crash it's not a big loss..where is u crash a new one it's gonna cost ya...and the way i drive i think i better keep buyin used ones.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I thing the 570 will be fine. My friend just bought a Cat 570 last year, fun sled. Quick, but still very maneuverable.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Take you're balls out of your wife's purse! A 570 only has 70HP. Maybe you're a really bad rider and she has a good point, but I think tha if you are going to get hurt on a 570, you will get hurt on a 440 or a 370 too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drz400, you are either

A. Not married
B. Not happilly married
C. Gay

Last year I purchased a brand new Motorhome, 2 brand new sleds, and a brand new trailer. Am I willing to compromise this year? You bet. I had a blast on the 370 last season, I don't have to compensate for any lack of manhood with a bigger engine. I am just happy at this time of my life to be able to get out there and have a partner who enjoys it too. Last year on our first trip out we came upon a young rider who hit a water bar at high speed. He once had balls, but they were no longer attached to his body when we came upon him. Neither was a major portion of his head. Am I a bad rider because I want a machine that is in line with my abilities, riding habits, and style?

Steve

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
steved28 said:
drz400, you are either

A. Not married
B. Not happilly married
C. Gay

Steve
Dude... good answer! I'm still ***wishing*** that my wife will take to sledding.

BTW, the specs say the 2000 550ZL has 80+ HP… how can a 570 have less??? Anyway, some folks don't realize that ice-racing isn't the only thing you can do on a sled.

Back to your question: I have a 2000 Panther 440 (2-up) and a 2000 550ZL. The ZL definitely has more power than the 440, but I think the 440 is more fun to drive - it can get air off an anthill! It’s great on the trail, though not as much fun with a passenger onboard. It will still do better than 65 with 2 riders. Very fun machine… As someone else mentioned, the difference in power between the 440 and a 550 is very noticeable! I bought both sleds late last season, and only had them out a few times. I've yet to get the 550 wide open. I clocked it (GPS, not speedo) just shy of 80, and it had plenty left. That kind of speed is scary on a trail (i.e. non-flat surface). So I tend to agree with you and your assessment. I just turned 45, and I still like a thrilling ride. However, I don’t consider death (or broken, smashed, dislocated, or otherwise rearranged body parts) “thrilling” like many of our younger riding friends. Speed isn’t all there is to riding – skill and experience wins over uncontrollable speed.

I think you’d be really happy with a 440. They’re light, and have plenty of power.

·
Banned
114 Posts
I have no idea what a waterbar is. Is that where you go to get a drink when you are boating? It is too bad that you are so Pu**y whipped that you think you actually make any decisions in your life. If it just comes down to money, I don't think there is a $400 difference between a 370 and a 570.

BTW a ZL550 is liquid cooled and a 570 is fan cooled. That is why the 570 has 10 less HP than the ZL 550. I also find it hard to believe that the 550 had plenty left at 80mph. That is about top speed. Thankyou for adding so little to the conversation!

I'm sure you will enjoy the 440. I just don't think they made one in pink this year!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drz400 said:

I'm sure you will enjoy the 440. I just don't think they made one in pink this year!
I have a feeling I get a lot more of the pink than you do, perhaps that is why you are so bitter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
.....Internet trash talkers, DRZ400 you should be ashamed of yourself.
I have to admit that was funny as all hell Steve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
drz400 said:
Yah I wish I could have a 46 year old woman. Is it still pink?
I said I was 46, you foolish boy you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK drz, let's end this here and now. After I have said my peace I'll give you the last word.

I don't know you and you don't know me. You come off as a troll. So I don't expect we'll get a real name/location from you, that's OK. So all I can do is tell you about myself. Yup, I'm an old geezer at 46. In the past I have raced class A SCCA sedan (look it up) so I do know how to go fast. I have also built numurous race engines for numurous types of racing, so I know what makes them go fast. When I say I ride at the limits of a machine, it does not mean I can't ride a more powerful machine, it means I can do more with less. Last year I chased down a couple guys 20 years younger then me on 800cc sleds. It was a blast through the twisties. When they stopped they wanted to know what "souped up sled" I was driving. It was the 370. While they were busy on and off the throttle and brake I was full bore. This is why my wife has concerns, she knows I still have that racing bug in me. Any fool can press down their thumb on an open lake.

Perhaps I'm "P" whipped, but you haven't seen the "P" we are talking about here. You may change your mind. My wife is concerned about me living , dying, or getting injured. I can live with that. Actually it's a great feeling and I hope you experience it someday. If making her happy means I cut back a few cc's that's OK, I can do more with less.

Flame away,

Steve

·
Registered
329 Posts
drz400, you're in a hole you are not getting out of with the childish responses. :rolleyes:

steve28 asked a simple logical answear & your response immediately ASS-umes the wrong thing.
Not everyone is Ricky Racer, some people atually have common sense & think not only for themselves, but for others. Such as his wife & children.
Think before you speak, you'll realize you look preatty stupid spouting off like a 12 yr old...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
considering that drz doesn't list a sled, and the fact the steve is looking
for a third sled might have him a little jealous not to mention i think steve is right about the lack of "pink" making him bitter, i am 42 and with kids, and a house and with other nessities in life i have had to
compromise on a few items in the last 15 years and know right where steve is coming from up till last year my sleds were at least 8 years old but all other responsablities were taken care of
without my balls being in my wifes purse. i have been able to buy anything i have wanted to buy as long as other commitments were taken care of first.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts