Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my kids 92 440prowler is running great thanks to everyone that helped out. It pulls strong all the way up to a top mph of around 70, turning about 7400 rpm's, spinning the track like crazy. Pretty good for a old 440. Stock everything, not even picked. whats the stock gearing on this ol girl and would it help putting a 1 tooth higher on the top and going say 2 lower on the bottom. He's an agressive little rider. thanks

·
Registered
26,194 Posts
NO! There is no speed gained by changing gearing! Your peak rpm might be a little low! Try tightening the driven spring a hole! Also sand down the cluches and blow them out real good!

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Peak RPM for my 90 440 Prowler was 7600, stock sprockets were 20/39. My sled would hit 80 on good snow, spinning the track the whole way. Fun sled! It was kind of squirrely at those speeds, though. My older son loved it, younger son hated it.

·
Registered
26,194 Posts
That reminds me of the first ride on the little 250 Bravo, 1 said it was squirrely and evryone else said it was a blast! Come to find out only had 1 front bolt in the seat! The seat would slide side to side at 45!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peak RPM for my 90 440 Prowler was 7600, stock sprockets were 20/39. My sled would hit 80 on good snow, spinning the track the whole way. Fun sled! It was kind of squirrely at those speeds, though. My older son loved it, younger son hated it.
so going down 1 tooth on the bottom is really no help kckats said to tighten the secondary 1 more more hole, does it matter which side of the 2ndary, meaning front or back side. Hey BC where in Oregon are ya, I spent 5 years in Bend

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
I'm down in kfalls. Bend has some great riding, but I just can't seem to get up there!

It could be that the spring is getting old and losing some of it's tension. By going one hole tighter (stock is third hole) you regain the tension lost by age in the spring. Going tighter will cause the engine to gain about 200 RPM per hole. Are there multiple holes for both ends of the spring? It's been a few years (and a few sleds!) since I had mine apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts