Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the pros and cons were about 4 strokes. I have only owned 2 strokes. Are 4 strokes slower?

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
On the take off, yes. But they are a LOT more reliable and they get better gas mileage.

The worst con of all is that you lose the smell of 2-stroke! :laugh:

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
if they sold that smell in a spray
my wife would buy it for me!!:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
oh geez. here we go again! hahaha.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Well depending on the number of cylinders, hp, gearing, jetting, etc. any sled will haul :D. But If that apex was a 2 stroke it would be even faster. Like yamaha said, it takes twice as long to complete a cycle.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Yamaha's 4 strokes sound somewhat like crotch rockets on snow. Not very desirable IMO. I do think they're good though.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yamaha's 4 strokes sound somewhat like crotch rockets on snow. Not very desirable IMO. I do think they're good though.
actually that sounds kind of appealing! I absolutely hate a piped 2 stroke snowmobile. Sounds like a couple weedeaters I used to own that had blown through their exhausts. I could look down what remained of the exhaust pipe and see the piston. In fact, those sounded BETTER than a loud piped 2 stroke snowmobile.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
The first really good 4 stroke was the Yamaha RX1. Basically, Yamaha took the R1 road bike engine and put it in a sled. It would do over 130 mph stock. For the flatlands, they worked really well, but they were too heavy for the mountains. Yamaha and Arctic Cat with their Z1 turbo both have scary power. Polaris has a four stroke turbo as well, but it's not up to the quality of the Yamaha or AC. Ski doo has a couple of 4-stroke engines in their line-up as well.

The engines are much more complex than their 2-stroke counterparts, but usually last a lot longer. It costs more to fix 'em when they break, and you won't be able to do very much of the work yourself. Your call.

·
118 Posts
They are heavier than two strokes, a lot more expensive to rebuild but are more reliable and they are a cleaner burning engine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought an RX-1 to be the test pilot on 4 strokes in our group, and , have not been able to ride yet. No Snow. Let you know what I hink soon, I hoooppppeee.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have had nothing but 2 smokes, until I purchased a used '06 Attak, 136" , 4 cyl., 998cc model, last Jan.
I have nothing but good to say about it. Maintenance on the sled does take some effort. Hole shot is great, Midrange is great, Top end is great, rides great, just do not get it stuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts