Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im having trouble with my old Panther 399. I finally figured that I only have spark on one side. Does this sound like a coil or points and is there a way to check these components instead of just replacing them?

Thanks for now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys, I do have spark on both sides. The plug was just wet. However i cannot make this thing run. I've had the carb apart and cleaned, replaced diaphram Etc. 6 times now. But when i do get it started with carb cleaner when the fuel comes in, this thing smokes so bad that you can't see what your doing. Yet i still have to choke it to make it run. In doing so the plug on the right side gets wet and wont fire. I mixed the fuel 20:1. Am i to strong?? I'm really stuck with this one. Hope someone has an idea.

thanks again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm not a vintage sled expert but 20:1 sounds way too strong to me...my old el tigre was 50:1 and i've heard of most sleds being somewhere around there...that could be your problem right there! Sometimes those old sleds will say somewhere on the dash what the fuel mixture should be...or try and find an old manual...

·
Registered
142 Posts
yup i have a couple vintage sleds and i use 50:1 and 40:1. 20:1 is way to strong it will just foul plugs im guessing. i think thats your problem. what number of spark plug you using?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
20:1 was the correct mix for the oils used back then.
Use 40:1 with the current oils.
If it will not run except with the choke on, then the low speed jet is clogged. Spray cleaner can not clear the passages, you need to soak it in carb cleaner and run a very fine wire through them to clear the clog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch guy's I'll go to 40:1 and clean that low speed jet as suggested. This is an awesome site for guys like me. I rode these old sleds for miles in the 70's but my father always kept them running. Us as kids just rode, and rode, and rode. I just love these old sleds and I'm slowly learning.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts