Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, i'm tryin' to figure out whats up with my 95 mach z. Its been running excellent all year and Im not sure whats wrong. Could it be a timing issue? Could my float heights be off? Im stumped on this one, any help is always appreciated. Thanks -SkidooStud

·
Registered
170 Posts
wow! if its running great it cant be timeing (it would run bad backfire etc) that honestly sounds like a gas leak. does it smell gassy? fuel line buy pump ? ide idle it and look around. overflowin thru carbs? it cant be burnin that much it wouldnt run

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
First off, with fuel mileage that bad, I would be looking for a gas leak somewhere. If the sled was pumping gas through the engine at that rate, I would think it would be running poorly, like showtime4 said. If no leaks are found, then look for parasitic friction losses all through the sled. Here are some ideas for you.

Check the ski and track alignment. Center the track and make sure it's not too tight. Adjust the skis so they are toed out no more than 1/4". How are the hyfax and track clips? Worn hyfax or missing track clips can really make some friction.

Check the carbides. Are they straight? A bent carbide can really cause friction.

Check your clutches for proper offset and deflection. Any twisting motion in the belt will really rob power. How is the belt? A worn, slick belt will not transfer power well. Clean any belt residue off the clutch sheaves so the clutches can grab the belt efficiently. Use a degreaser and hot water, then scrub the sheave surfaces with a Scotch-brite pad or 200 grit sandpaper. The sheaves work better roughed up a bit than if they are slick.

Check the bogey wheels for a bearing that is frozen. Check the brake to make sure it's not hanging up (not likely, but it happens!)

Pull and clean the carbs. Check float height, and for proper jetting. What color are the plugs? You may be able to jet a size or two smaller to get better fuel mileage. You may have a jet that has fallen out or other problem in a carb. It's worth checking.

I would do all this before worrying about timing issues. It's not often that a stator plate gets loose. It could happen, but that would be really down on the list.

Good luck! I had a 440 Indy that was getting 6 mpg, and did all the above and got it up to 12. It ran great too, but the problem there was clutch offset and rich jetting. It took a while, but you should be getting better than 3-4!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I've cleaned my carbs twice and I've already looked at most of these things...My hyfax, track clips, carbides, ski alignment, and track tension are all fine. My plugs are running a little rich, the center plug is a nice coffee brown but other two are a little darker (which is fine for a triple). At the beginning of the season I had a leaky fuel pump, but I fixed that problem and I've been watching carefully for any gas leaking problems and have come up with nothing. I have a brand new high performance belt and everything in my transmission is functioning properly. I'm thinking my carbs need to be synced or readjusted...also at the begginning of the season I think I may have overfilled the chaincase with oil...could this be causing some troubles? thanks again

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest Im not sure, I do know that it was the correct fliud. And yeah I think its probably a combination of this and something in my carbs. I hate to say it, but I think Im going to take it into the shop, I dont know enough about carbs to start messin' with things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wondering, what was the outcome, I have 97 Mach Z 809 that I just purchased, and realized that it will not be able to do more then 75 miles from the fuel tank (over 10 gallons) so it makes about 6-7 mpg. My other sled makes about 12-13 mpg but it is twin 617cc not triple 796cc, on the other hand can it be such a big diffrence? let me know what they did in the shop and how the sled performs now.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
How full are you filling the tank? My Edge with drain the tank through the vent line.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How full are you filling the tank? My Edge with drain the tank through the vent line.
Not if you move the end of the vent line. Mine is right about level with the top of the tank under my handlebar pad. It didn't come that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts