Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it may be a tad premature but it there are any 9R owners out there, could you bring me up to speed on their cooling system, specifically if they overheat when riding on the trail? I am pondering whether to snowcheck a 2024 Polaris RMK Khaos Matryx Slash 9R in April and could really use some info! Thank you in advance!

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
Not many mountain guys on this forum, we are few and far between. You may want to visit Snowest's forum, it's full of info on all things mountain.

That said, if it's anything like all the other big power Polaris mountain sleds, it won't do well on the trails when it comes to heating. Scratchers help. But that's why I bought an SKS instead of an RMK Pro when I got a new sled. Riding with Pro guys all day and seeing their struggles keeping the thing below 180 f convinced me that I didn't need the extra performance for the way I ride and the SKS was a better fit. Polaris does a great job of developing a light, nimble, powerful sled for the steep country and deep powder. It excels at that. But.. you still have to get there!

So... I don't have any specific info regarding the 9R. It looks like a great chassis and engine, though!

· Registered
1 Posts
I realize it may be a tad premature but it there are any 9R owners out there, could you bring me up to speed on their cooling system, specifically if they overheat when riding on the trail? I am pondering whether to snowcheck a 2024 Polaris RMK Khaos Matryx Slash 9R in April and could really use some info! Thank you in advance!
Not many mountain guys on this forum, we are few and far between. You may want to visit Snowest's forum, it's full of info on all things mountain. That said, if it's anything like all the other big power Polaris mountain sleds, it won't do well on the trails when it comes to heating. Scratchers help. But that's why I bought an SKS instead of an RMK Pro when I got a new sled. Riding with Pro guys all day and seeing their struggles keeping the thing below 180 f convinced me that I didn't need the extra performance for the way I ride and the SKS was a better fit. Polaris does a great job of developing a light, nimble, powerful sled for the steep country and deep powder. It excels at that. But.. you still have to get there! So... I don't have any specific info regarding the 9R. It looks like a great chassis and engine, though!
I just picked up my 23 rmk khaos 9R matryx slash 155, took it out for some break in miles on the trail with 4-5 inches of snow. That’s been packed down. Put the scratchers down surprising the sled stayed super cold I was mind blown never went above 113°F. My 2015 assualt 144 with scratchers down runs 120-130°F if it’s perfect conditions. I struggle to keep that one cold on the trail!

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
That is great to hear! I was out Monday for a ride on my SKS, the snow was hard and icy. Even with scratchers, my temps were up to 165f, which makes me pretty nervous. That sled will run 124f in fresh snow. I use cable scratchers on that sled, I may have to re-think that and go to the rigid wire ones. Or quit riding on that hard as concrete junk we are getting in the lower elevations! :D

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply! For powder I wouldn't own anything but Polaris! Up to this point, I've found nothing else that compares for handling and durability. I've put my 2019 Polaris SKS 850 146 through hell both on and off trail and my only repairs consist of 2 drive belts, 1 track roller bearing, 2 sets of spark plugs, a brake disc clip and occasional ski alignment and track adjustments! In my opinion the only upgrade out there would be a machine that at least matches the SKS but with a larger engine such as the 9R; however, before I dish out 19k on anything I always do as much homework as possible. Hopefully this forum will assist in obtaining the information I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts