Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the forum. I have a 2018 Polaris sks 146” 800. I just bought it used on a private sale. Machine works great except for starter. Sometimes the starter will work if I turn the key to start and sometimes it won’t do anything at all. No clicking or anything. I’m 100% new to sledding so I have no idea where to start. I found the sylenoid and the starter and checked all connections and wiring in between but nothing seemed wrong and I giggled the wires everywhere but no avail. Cylenoid possibly? I read somewhere there are relays to look at? Have no idea where they are or how to check them. I’m sorry for being so new but I have no idea where to start. Any help is appreciated. Also when I use the pull cord it runs great. Thank you

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Try replacing the battery first and make sure all the contact points for the ground and positive cables are clean of corrosion then get some battery protection spray and cover them with that since it will get snow inside that compartment possibly. Then go from there. That battery has to be at a certain voltage otherwise it just won't work correctly.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
Welcome
Trace the ground wire back to the frame and remove and clean it!
Do all of them, pos & neg

·
Registered
362 Posts
u should check the battery with the volt meter hooked up, if the voltage drops below 9.6 during a start,it wont. a lot of stuff going on when u turn the key, battery voltage may be showing its ok , but not under load

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Polaris 754. So I have the volt meter on the battery but when I turn the key over it doesn’t fluctuate at all. No clicking to engage starter or nothing. My display doesn’t come up when key is on the run position. Is it not supposed to? Display comes up when started with the pullcord and everything works great with the pullcord. Not drawing any power at all when attempting to use electric start. Possibly bad ignition? I will randomly work if I click the key to the run position but it takes a good 30 tries of clicking it before it will send the message to the starter. Like I said. Absolutely no response when attempting to turn it over with key. No click no loss of battery power. It’s as if your not trying to start it at all

any other suggestions?
Thanks
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts