Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the year we've had this sled it's never needed a drop of oil. Last friday it was down on the dipstick for the first time. Took half a quart to hit the normal mark. Put 50 miles on it last weekend. Went to get ready to go for this weekend and the oil level was on the bottom of the stick again. It's not leaking anywhere. Machine has 2,300 miles on it. I'm running Amsoil 0-40w in it and was told by previous owner that was what he ran in it. No blue smoky exhaust or performance issues. Machine is used for hauling gear so it never spends any time wide open or getting beat on. My buddy has the day off so we topped it off and he's running it on some local trails now so we can check it again before loading it up for the weekend.

Anyone have a similiar issue? A half a quart leak would be very noticable. Really thinking of scrapping the weekend trip.

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
Welcome
Have you checked the oil filter?
I have had an oil leak when the old oil filter Oring stayed behind and a new filter went right on, a month later it blew out and lost 4 qts of oil in a mater of seconds!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome
Have you checked the oil filter?
I have had an oil leak when the old oil filter Oring stayed behind and a new filter went right on, a month later it blew out and lost 4 qts of oil in a mater of seconds!
I will check today, it had an oil change the day I brought it home and hasn't been due for another yet. I did take the machine out this weekend and constantly checked the level every time we stopped. No change all weekend. Starting to wonder if the bitter cold could have had something do with it, it was -10 the weekend before when we were out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doubt that cold would lower oil level?

Could it just have been on an angle???
My garage floor is flat and level. Just checked it again today before loading it on the trailer for the weekend. No change. I'm more confused over it being that low one time than if it had been consistently losing oil. Will continue to monitor during the weekend.

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
Really
My wifes old car Nissan Altima would do that, bout a quart half way threw an oil change

1 - 6 of 6 Posts