Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick one of these up...has about 1,000 miles on it for $5,000.
Any thoughts? I've been looking for reviews but have not found much; all I'm finding is that the 550 with the Edge chasis had issues, and I believe the sled listed above has the Gen 2.
I'm basically looking for good reliability using for an ice fishing rig and pulling the kids around.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,406 Posts
You are correct, that's the earlier Gen II chassis. The problems with the 550 were not only because of the Edge chassis but because of other engine changes as Polaris changed internal designs. If the sled has 1000 miles on it with no issues, I would think it would be good to go.

The price is a little high, new those sleds were about $8500 or so. It's almost 5 years old, so I would expect to have dropped a bit more in value. But it's a niche market. Not many were sold and not many come up for sale as most people that bought 'em keep 'em.

Wide track sleds such as this and the Arctic Cat Bearcat as well as the Skidoo Scandic were made exactly for what you are wanting to do. They pull loads very well and are designed for work. They won't be the fastest or the highest climbing, but to putter around with the kids or pull the gear out on the ice, they do great.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I missed out on the sale of an '04 Skandic Sport with about 2,700 miles on it; they wanted $3,000 for it. I've now found an '04 Indy 340 with long track and 800 miles on it (only a single seater); they also want $3,000 for it. Do you think this would be an ok fit for my above described uses? A little concerned about 340 power and that it's a single seater. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nope that sled will be a dog for what you want to do. It would be one thing if you have a young kid learning to ride but for what you want to do it isn't worth the time and definitely isn't worth 3,000 dollars

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah here maybe 1,500 and that is getting sold at the peak of the season. Definitely not offseason when the prices are tanking. Although they should start to pick up here in October

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Good grief at the prices you are finding.

People think 2004 is still new, but that is 16 years old. I know used prices are holding pretty good, but those prices just seem ridiculous.

Anyway. I'm not familiar with Polaris's offers in the utility machine market. Does the Indy LX WT have a low gear like the BearCat and Skandics do?

Personally, I rode a BearCat about 2 years ago and was not happy with the way it handled. We were riding in a mix of 2-3' power and trails that crossed small creeks. It just seemed heavy in every way. That one also didn't have much power, I'm guessing that it was the smallest motor at the time.
Another time I was out riding on a Skandic WT (2011) and came across a fellow out in a field riding a BearCat. I thought he was stuck so I went over to help. He wasn't stuck, but we started talking about the machines and he asked if he could drive the Skandic. We swapped machines and I rode his BearCat. It was a beast of a machine. I think it was the biggest one you can get and really meant for trail groomer or even ski slope grooming. I actually liked it because I knew that it was a beast and could go just about anywhere you pointed it. The other guy played on the Skandic WT for a while and when it came time to swap back, he said that he was going to go trade that BearCat in and get a Skandic because it seemed to be more of his needs. I think he just made a bad choice and bought way to much of a "tool" than a recreational toy that can do work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Part of my situation is that I am in mountainous western Wyoming, so almost all of the sleds around me are the big mountain machines. I do not have much (or any) to choose from locally. Now I've found a new 2019 Yamaha VK540 listed for $7,630 about 5 hours away from me. Also a 2018 ArcticCat Bearcat 2000 LT ES with 1,255 miles asking $6,500. The Bearcat is in WI so I'd have to pay another $500 or $600 for shipping (basically putting me near the same price as the Viking). I don't like the looks of the Viking; but durability and reliability is what is most important to me. If I can convince the wife...I'm leaning towards the Viking. I'm not in a rush to buy a sled; but the longer it goes on the more I drive myself crazy looking for one...and they don't seem to be getting easier to find.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They both have the Cat 540 Two Stroke with carb. The Yamaha is basically a Bear Cat with Yamaha decals. This is part of the Cat/Yamaha manufacturing deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts