Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I wanted to get your guys thoughts on a 2015 Polaris Indy 550. I am thinking of buying one. I found one with 1200 miles for sale for $3500. Do any of you guys have experience with the 550s? I heard some of them had engine problems but I think that was just the years it had the edge chassis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is, I know they have less power but I kinda want a fanner because most the time we don’t have very much snow for the heat exchangers, also I’ve heard fanners are more reliable

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Yes, the later ones were more reliable but like any sled that's now 5 years old it can be junk too. Make sure you check it over good and I'd still do a compression test on it.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
I cant say More reliable but yes to low snow conditions.

I have Ditch bangers for around here in North Central Illinois
Yamaha SRV and Phazer and my Ovation!

I have a Pair of 800efi Panteras to take North

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, I wanted to get your guys thoughts on a 2015 Polaris Indy 550. I am thinking of buying one. I found one with 1200 miles for sale for $3500. Do any of you guys have experience with the 550s? I heard some of them had engine problems but I think that was just the years it had the edge chassis.
[/QUOT
Polaris cheapened the crankshafts on the 99 and 2000 550s and had problems. I think in 2001 they beefed up the lower end and that resolved a lot of issues. I was always willing to take in a fan cooled sled on trade because people that bought fan sleds, didnt want to go 100 mph. Consequently the units tended to be more neglected than abused. if the sled looks good , go for it. About a 70 mph sled at sea level.Also, forget the Polaris jetting chart, their service were so focused on EFI they couldnt jet a carb sled to save their life. Synchronize carbs . Run sled at 1/2 throttle and check plugs. Jet needles until you get a nice brown color. When satisfied, run sled wide open for a 100 yards or so. Check plugs , very likely will have to rejet according to get a nice deep brown color. Jetting will vary from cyl to cyl and there may be no pattern to it. Cyl clearance , tolerance , temp and rpm will affect plug color. Dont bother running high test, makes sled run rich, run 87 octane w/ Polaris VES oil.. If the sled bogs check drive belt tension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts