Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SoCosledgal24
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2013 RMK 600 from Wyoming and it has 10-58 clutch weights in it (i believe those are stock) so it's good for 5k-7k feet. I live in Colorado and usually unload around 8k-9k and ride anywhere above that. I see that the 10-54 weights are for 9k-11k but when I go to buy them every site is saying they are for 99-2005 sleds. Am I good to put these on my 2013? I also plan to replace the primary and secondary spring.

I rode in Wyoming and Idaho last week and it did well but in Colorado I can't get the RPM's above 6800. Am I going in the right direction with the clutch idea? Last time I rode Colorado we were at about 10k feet and I opened it up across a meadow full pinned and it still wouldn't get above 6800.

Any info would be great as this is the newest sled I've ever owned so I'm completely clueless about it's differences from my old 2000 RMK 800 (of which there are many)

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
There is not much difference in the clutching, it's still operating on the same principle. The clutch weights have a lot to do with the RPM that the engine can rev to, and as you lose 3% power for every 1000 feet of elevation rise, you may not have the power necessary to pull the heavier weights. I would swap 'em and see what happens. It may be just the ticket.

Clutching for really high elevations always involves a bit of magic, and a lot of testing to see what works. Spring rate, weight curvature, weight mass all play a roll in the primary. And spring rate as well as helix ramp angle affects it in the secondary.

You may want to go over to Snowest.com and check out some of the threads there. There are a LOT of mountain riders on that forum with good experiences they are willing to share.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts