Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm very new here and first post. I've recently purchased this sled with not very much research. Air ride, heated seats woohoo that's about the research I did. As of now the sled works as it should. I think?????? As of now the shock is flat, so I start the sled the suspension pumps up I can adjust the different settings up to 5. If I go down to say 3 I hear a pffffft air release that's good I think. And repeat. Up to 5 down to 3. All works. The question is, is it supposed to drop flat when it is off? Or hold the current air pressure? Do I have a leak? I've seen multiple multiple forums of this crappy air system but have not been able to find anything about my question. Any information please. The machine has hi mileage 16000k bought out of Quebec, I don't have many details as the owner only had it for two years. And says he did a track and drive /chaincase seals and bearings. The dealer is pulling up one warranty repair on the computer but no details to what was done. I was told not to worry that much about the high mileage as it was out of Quebec and that their trails are beautiful, and comparing to selling a car is like the seller saying "it's all highway miles". Here in Ontario we still have no snow and hopefully In the next few weeks. So I have a couple weeks to get this fixed. I've also read forums of changing the shock to a standard XP shock. Any information on that too would be appreciated.
Thx keith

·
Registered
899 Posts
That should have shocks that can be rebuilt on it I would assume. If so over time they require to have new seals, oil and a recharge done every few years or so many miles.

Welcome, and BearAK would know more on the Ski-Doos, hopefully he pops in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That should have shocks that can be rebuilt on it I would assume. If so over time they require to have new seals, oil and a recharge done every few years or so many miles.

Welcome, and BearAK would know more on the Ski-Doos, hopefully he pops in.
I have read that this air shock is not rebuildable. Again not positive.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Legally it shouldn't ever be too late for a recall. Have them run the vin to make sure. If it comes back that it was never done then they should have to do it. If they say no I would be calling Ski-Doo directly to complain like no other saying the other owner didn't do it and that is not your fault. Now that you own it you want the recalls done that have to be done. You can even show them your bill of sale if you have one to prove you just got it. I know I would be fighting to get that done regardless.

"Replace pistons, if the vehicle meets both of thefollowing requirements:– Vehicle used generally at an altitude below1 200 m (4,000 ft).– Vehicle has reached 5 000 km (3,125mi)."

With that many miles on it, most likely it was done. Those were known to have issues unless the update was done. Either way call with vin and verify.

I bought a 1999 SUV 10 years after it was built with 85,000 miles on it and there was 3 recalls from 1999 & 2000 and the local dealership did every single one. Granted that is a vehicle and not a sled but it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So these are a couple pictures of the suspension. One is of the block about 1/2" away while sled is running and then it touching 15 min after sled is off

·
Registered
899 Posts
That is such BS. As far as your other questions hopefully BearAK shows up as I know hardly anything about Ski-Doos. I would still ask the dealer though with your vin to see if it was done. If it was then you have one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Unfortunately, those are my dark years. Meaning I don't really know much about the Revs up until they started making the XM and XS chassis. The GSX air ride was a great system, but my guess would be that it needs to have a few parts replaced/refurbished to bring it back to new. I really don't know if they "go flat" when the machine is not on or if they are suppose to hold it.

We didn't get many GSX's up here in Alaska. There are basically two types of riders up here. Mountain and Utility. The trail sleds generally don't sell well, specially the luxury trail sleds. Even at the large snowmachine gatherings, I think I've only seen one GSX.
Not saying they are a bad sled, just Alaskans are either gung-ho mountains or out getting firewood for their cabin. #1 sled in Alaska for years was the Tundra and Tundra II, followed by the Skandic and then Summit.

Need to talk with a local dealer to find out more. Find the guy that has been there 15 years or more.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
BTW - again, I hate pushing people to another forum, but dootalk.com is a much better resource for Skidoos.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I see nothing wrong with pushing someone to another forum when none of us have the required knowledge that he is looking for. Dootalk is usually busy year round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts