Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 2011 skidoo 600rs. Has 2200 miles and the seller has told me it fires right up and runs, but won’t idle. Will shut off after idle on its own for a few seconds. He said it “just needs carbs cleaned” thinking about buying for a good deal, just don’t want to run into any bigger problems. Is there anything I should be worried about other than carbs cleaned? Do these sleds tend to have carb problems? Any help appreciated I don’t wanna dump money into a junk pit if possible. Looking for things other than carbs that would make it cut out. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Pretty much every two-stroke carbed snowmobile on the planet should have the carbs cleaned on a yearly basis. Especially with the garbage gasoline we get these days... I would not let that be too much of a red flag... most of the time, parts are not required, just remove the carbs, disassemble, spray out the jets, air and fuel passages, put back together and go ride. They are pretty simple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a 2011 skidoo 600rs. Has 2200 miles and the seller has told me it fires right up and runs, but won’t idle. Will shut off after idle on its own for a few seconds. He said it “just needs carbs cleaned” thinking about buying for a good deal, just don’t want to run into any bigger problems. Is there anything I should be worried about other than carbs cleaned? Do these sleds tend to have carb problems? Any help appreciated I don’t wanna dump money into a junk pit if possible. Looking for things other than carbs that would make it cut out. Thanks.
One of the first things to go is idle when compression is low.
If all it needs is carb cleaning , let him do it and demonstrate it can idle, otherwise, lacking a compression test, I would presume it needs a top end job.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
A 2 stroke that will start but wont idle point directly at the Piolt jet and the idle circuit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts