Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First run… just purchased 2 new, 2010’s – Polaris 800 dragon RMKs and both are losing gauge lights, head lights dim (although tail is working) and every so often the engine died. Waited about 1 min to restart engine and after a minute or 2 of running, it starts acting up all over again. On one sled it died about 15 times coming down the mountain, and the other one died twice… good thing was with group of 6. Less than 7 hours on each sled, but started having problem after the 4th hour or so. Has anybody ever heard of or had this problem and know what is causing it, or should I go back to dealer and get my money back. Your reply is greatly appreciated.:dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
First run… just purchased 2 new, 2010’s – Polaris 800 dragon RMKs and both are losing gauge lights, head lights dim (although tail is working) and every so often the engine died. Waited about 1 min to restart engine and after a minute or 2 of running, it starts acting up all over again. On one sled it died about 15 times coming down the mountain, and the other one died twice… good thing was with group of 6. Less than 7 hours on each sled, but started having problem after the 4th hour or so. Has anybody ever heard of or had this problem and know what is causing it, or should I go back to dealer and get my money back. Your reply is greatly appreciated.:dunno:
I had the exact same issue with my NEW 2010 600 Switchback. It started with about 30 miles on the sled sounds like this is not an isolated issue...

·
BAHNN Motorsports
189 Posts
during a trail ride trip to Wisconsin last year I experienced the same problem. It happened suddenly after refueling ....as soon as I came to the first stop sign, the lights dimmed and the engine quit. i thought ":dunno:" and started it back up and rode on...this happened again & again until we stopped at Lakewoods the next morning and filled up with 92....problem solved. It's a strong possibility since more than one sled in your group had the same problem.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
this sounds somewhat similar to my problem described below.....given our gas sits for so long here I'm thinking it may be low octane levels (er only have 87 here)

"I have a new 2010 Switchback Dragon 800 (84 miles on it). At mile 34 the sled started misfiring with a few backfires, the backfires eventually stopped but at the same time I lost considerable power (all the way through from low-end to top-end) with it being extremely unreliable power-wise. It was giving a“chugging” effect despite a consistent level of throttle (often bogging down and sometimes stalling during idle). Because of the break-in period and the rich oil mixture I was told the backfiring may be normal and that something may have triggered a sensor. I brought to the dealer, and they said it was the crank sensor and ended up re-setting it. This fixed the problem temporarily but only for 20 miles when the same problem came back!!!! No backfiring but again lost considerable power (low-end to top-end), extremely unreliable as it was giving the “chugging” effect when I gave it a consistent amount of throttle, bogging down and sometimes stalling during idle. HELLLLLLP!!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Additional info:
- I’ve done everything as per Polaris recommended break-in and have technically burnt through my first tank of gas now
- Replaced spark plugs once already after first episode describe above. Verified good spark. Verified spark plug wires and that they were connected properly

Delinda’s crazy preliminary thoughts:
- Crank sensor again? Why?
- Are my fuel mode wires properly connected/unconnected?
- Another sensor problem? Oxygen?
- Octane levels? Although other guys have switchbacks here.

HELLLLLLP!!!!!!

Thanks,
Delinda

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/polaris-snowmobiles/58421-new-switchback-misfiring-badly-loss-power.html

·
Registered
615 Posts
did they put the april flash in the ecm?or have the dealer check for bad injectors there color coded and polaris wants the dealers to replace them if the sled has them.sounds like bad injectors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts