Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my sled recently got burnt up in a fire but that’s a different story. Now I found a great deal on a 2009 Polaris RMK Assault 146 and I am wondering how it would perform on long trail rides. I mostly ride trails but do like to go off trail when we have the snow. I have heard how these “mountain” sleds can have cooling problems when trail riding and the gearing is different. I need a sled quickly with all the snow we are getting and this one seems like a very good deal. Since it is a spurr of the moment sled and not the first one I would pick for my ride type, I would just use it for the remainder of this winter and flip it next year. Any input would be helpful. I am planning on picking it up on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
If you have been riding trail sleds and like that ride, the RMK Assault won't be near as good of a ride for you. Compared to a dedicated trail sled, they are tippy and don't corner all that well. And because of the lug height, any hardpack snow or ice will cause overheating unless ice scratchers are used. Even then, with prolonged trail rides, the track won't get adequate lubrication to keep the engine cool, or the hyfax from melting. The RMK Assault has a harsher ride, as well. Part of the reason folks get the Assault is because of the much stiffer suspension. It's a very capable sled for taking bumps and jumps, which demands stronger suspension parts. Your call.

Also, which engine does it have? The early small block 800's (08, 09) were plagued with problems... make sure it's had its corrections...

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Find something else!
I have found the 136" to be plenty on and off trail!
Unless you are planning on going above 10,000 ft you can go anywhere!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts