Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedometer quit working on my 2009 IQ. It is an analog speedometer located in the hood and NOT driven by a mechanical cable. Other lights, etc. located with the speedometer work and the wiring harness connector to the hood that goes to all these things is in good shape. Is there a failure mode that is common to these speedometers? Can you recommend troubleshooting procedures? I do have the factory service manual but haven't looked there yet.
Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The speedometer quit working on my 2009 IQ. It is an analog speedometer located in the hood and NOT driven by a mechanical cable. Other lights, etc. located with the speedometer work and the wiring harness connector to the hood that goes to all these things is in good shape. Is there a failure mode that is common to these speedometers? Can you recommend troubleshooting procedures? I do have the factory service manual but haven't looked there yet.
Thanks!
Dave
I checked the service manual and it shows a speed sensor, that I think may be aimed at the track drive belt pulley, but I'm guessing. Anyone know where that sensor is?
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dan,

I'll check it out later this week when I can get it into a warm garage. I neglected to say the size in my post - it is also a 600. The service manual only shows a wiring schematic which gives a rough idea via an outline drawing of wheat it looks like, and what the 3-wire connector on its cable looks like.
Dave

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Those sensors were common for going bad back then. I know my buddy replaced it twice on both his 600 and 700s during the years before selling them both off. Within a month the guy called and asked him if he had issues with the speedo sensors,lol. He said yep on both of them twice.

At least it isn't too bad to get to and iirc just a OEM part unless you can find a good one used.

·
Administrator
18,930 Posts
When I redid mine, I didn't fill the whole driveline with grease. That was 10 years ago and it still works fine when I ride that sled (which isn't often...) My 700 has never had an issue since I have had it. That sled gets a few more miles than the 600, but still not many. I like my 800 :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts