Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin at getting a 2009 Polaris Dragon 800. I know these sleds have had problems in the past but the guy who’s selling it replaced the pistons with ones with longer skirts, and put an anti stab kit, and anti ratchet drivers on it. 1200 miles. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
258 Posts
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole unless it was given to me. Sure with a Dyno commander and lots of playing around I know people will say it's great blah blah blah, but no way would i ever want to experience that trouble personally. If you buy it good luck !

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
They can be made to work, but a lot of folks had issues. Polaris recalled every 800 in 2008 and 09 to attempt to fix the issues. The recall got them new pistons/cylinders and a new fuel map, among other things. They still had issues.

The 700 engine is a lot better, but I still broke a piston skirt on mine and put a hole in the crankcase at about 4000 miles.

Buyer beware

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
There was a serious problem with overheating, as the original piston was a single ring piston and the ring could not dissipate the heat adequately. There were also tons of burn-downs while driving easy on the trails, as the fuel map in the EFI was too lean in the midrange. There were issues with injectors, with the voltage regulator, with the fuel filter being too small and needing to be replaced yearly (at a tune of 90 bucks from Polaris), failed throttle body boots, and even failed oil pumps. Some of the replacement pistons were also out of spec, which resulted in multiple failures on the engine, even while under warranty. There were also cranks that broke, piston skirts that broke, and pretty much zero Polaris support. It was a huge mess and it followed the 900/700 disaster. Those two engines were the best thing ever for sales at Skidoo and Arctic Cat.

·
Registered
1996 F3, 1999 XCR 800, 2002 vipers, 2000 srx, 2015 Viper turbo
89 Posts
A friend of mine had one for two years. It ruined both seasons, never got over 800 miles on it total. He rides 3~4K miles a year average. The sled is garbage stay away.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Agreed I wouldn't touch one of those even if it was given to me. Just too many issues with them from the get go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, sounds like I’ll have to rethink my decision. Was there any particular era or sled that was super good. It would have to be under 2010, I don’t have a ton of money

·
Super Moderator
258 Posts
600RMK with a 660kit is really good and should be reasonable in price. I would stay away from 800RMK's as they have engine trouble in the early years.
I've actually ridden a 700RMK out in Utah and it was pretty good but like any sled you will need to watch as more HP is needed if you want to high mark up on the mtns waaaaaayyyy up there. (I did a couple but boy it can be a little scary at the top when you have to "turn out" lol and don't want to uhhhhh ROLL IT to the bottom!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The 700 VES can be made to have extra power with some reeds and some good clutching. Not much of a difference between those two engines. Plus at least the 700 is reliable unlike the 800 as many others have said.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Nope stay away from those 800s. They are a good price for a reason. They had issues up till 2012 maybe more. It was one reason why Polaris introduced the 850 a couple years ago.

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
I went from an Edge 800 to an 08 600 IQ RMK in 2008. The 600 is a very healthy 600 and really durable. I did not have the neck-snapping acceleration that the 800 had but I went pretty much anywhere I would have been able to go on my 04 800. Part is due to the track, the 155" is a great size for both boondocking and hill climbing.

The top end on the 07-09 Dragon 700 is totally different than the 800. It has individual cylinders instead of the mono-block. The 700 is a pretty good engine with healthy HP. Or like Steve suggests, get a carbed 600 and bump it up with a 660 kit. The EFI model does not have that ability...

I have about 1500 miles on my 2017 Axyx chassis 800 with absolutely zero issues. I hope it stays that way :D

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yes but that 800 has had a load of improvements that the others didn't. I wouldn't touch one until 2015 at least with an 800.

I priced out a new setup today with a 600 and a 850 anywhere from 12,600 to 13,500 done in Purple/White with Purple Rails. Damn this thing looks slick! Wish I had the money to do it because it also has the upgraded skid plate and adjustable handlebars on it as well. Not a big fan of Purple but this looks sweet on that snowmobile. Seen one in person at the local shop and it is nice looking in person.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
lol I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY THAT! lol. Tbh all I need is a 129" or a 137" since all I do is trail ride. I really want to pull the trigger but the 300 dollar payment would break me. Mine also had the tall windshield and the upgraded skid plate. Along with another bag and I would just buy a cover online for it. Also it had the 1.25" Ice Attack on it and I would then put more studs in it as well another 96 with purple lite weight backers like the ones I am going to put on my '97 Indy 500 L/C this spring to replace the old ones on there. I managed to get 2 sets of 1" studs each with 96" studs with lite weight backers of my color choice for 50 bucks a set. So I bought 2 sets at that price. I might buy a third in Feb when I get paid if he still has them.

Yeah I am really digging that color. I saw a 850 RMK in the showroom as someone ordered it then backed out. I know the guys that run the place they were "not happy" but are selling it now and wow. It is even better looking in person Dan. That new adjustable handlebar they didn't even know about. Told them about 4 weeks ago and when I was in there last thursday the salesman told me he had requests for it so he had ordered 2 customs with it and then 5 for in stock sales with it saying it was worth the upgrade that people would love it and would buy it regardless.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You guys are killing me..... Just picked up another 2005 RMK 700 with a 151 track. The guy I got it from just got a new Switchback, with an optional rear seat (M!2 heated ??) It only had a 146" track, but looked sweet. He got the 600 motor instead of the 850, and says it has plenty of power...... Going to stay away from the dealers until maybe snowcheck in March,....... Super tempting......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts