Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a iq 600 that was smashed up and sat awhile. ive aways been ski-doo my buds are all polaris. i fixed cozmetics,cleaned carbs,valves,etc.1200mi and comp is perfect.sled was pukin antifreez and low end boggie.(that was a head gasket)now sled runs perfect! my issue is one plug(pto side) is lt blk other(mag side)is cardboard brown. piston wash follows plug color. is this even a issue? is it common on a polaris 2cyl to off jet carbs? sled does have a slp air intake. Any imput would be greatly apriciated. thanks:)

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Is the e-clip on the jet needle set the same on both carbs? Is there an extra spacer under the richer side e-clip?

The spec for the 2009 doesn't list staggered jetting, but if you have one side richer than the other as indicated by your plugs and piston wash, I would jet one size smaller on the black side to make them the same. Or if it's running fine, just live with it :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great tip Bc dan! needle clips are the same. spacers could be it. slp airbox instructions say to rejet 2 sizes this airbox was on sled. i didnt look 4 spacers when i had carbs off. it makes sence. as good as it runs ide like to try 4 perfect. i promised my gal i would clean house today but she agrees sleddin trumps everything. So im off to the garage! Thanx again 4 great tip. and thanx even more for gettin me out of chores! lol ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
It's only a great tip if it works ;)

Some sleds heat the cylinders unevenly, causing need for different jetting. Usually, the MAG side is the one that is lean because of the heat that comes from the pipe. Sounds to me like you're doing what you need to do to jet it perfectly. Just keep an eye on that side piston wash and plug color to make sure it's staying safe if you jet smaller!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bingo! There was a etra spacer on rich side. I am accually gona try leavein jets alone and put a spacer on leaner side. mag side is lt black and our normal ridein is all day on trails 15 to 25 deg. and back home across green bay when its ussually 0 to 10deg. 5deg tomorrow great day to test. better safe than sorry. Thanks again GO PACKERS!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts