Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know anything about the sled only he would want a bunch of money too...
i imagine he will want some cash with it. If he doesn’t is when I’m really going to worry. I’m just wondering if they sorted the 800 engine out by 2012 or not... I know people were steering me away from the 2009 800 dragon because of the engine

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Eh 2000-2012 at least I would stay away from. Personally I wouldn't go near one until 2014 and later. At least from what I have seen the 2012's are better then the other ones but they just had those issues. Also something with a turbo would scare me anyways on a trail machine. If a 800 isn't enough HP for the trails with some clutching upgrades and a set of reeds then what the heck are you doing? All it takes is one split second mistake and you are dead on any snowmobile but with that turbo adding a lot more HP it would be pointless on the trails. Also if it is in such good shape then he would be selling it for cash outright as there is always someone out there who wants a setup like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eh 2000-2012 at least I would stay away from. Personally I wouldn't go near one until 2014 and later. At least from what I have seen the 2012's are better then the other ones but they just had those issues. Also something with a turbo would scare me anyways on a trail machine. If a 800 isn't enough HP for the trails with some clutching upgrades and a set of reeds then what the heck are you doing? All it takes is one split second mistake and you are dead on any snowmobile but with that turbo adding a lot more HP it would be pointless on the trails. Also if it is in such good shape then he would be selling it for cash outright as there is always someone out there who wants a setup like that.
yeah it certainly seems too good to be true. I have multiple questions such as, why did an elderly man that doesn’t want the power of an 800 add a turbo in the first place...

I guess it’s worth calling him tonight and finding out more details for the hell of it.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
If it was me, I would look at 600s. Plenty of pep and reliable....

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Any time I see a sled with a turbo on it, I become really wary. The original 800 was not designed around a turbo and when you add one, you are taking things into your own hands. I have a few friends that ride turbo 800's, they are very potent. But the more power you make, the less durable the engine. Things just wear out faster.

Durability in the stock 2012 800 engine was a lot better than the earlier versions, and Polaris seemed to get the mid-range fuel mapping figured out. But a survey of '11-12 owners shows about a 20% failure rate, pretty much equal between piston problems, cylinder problems, and crankshaft problems.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yep said before I would look into a 600 from Polaris. With some clutching upgrades i.e springs, helix and then a aftermarket reed setup those 600s are really nice and peppy. They have a good reputation, they last a long time and are great on trails.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts
But if he's initiating the contact looking for yours, you've got the upper hand in the negotiation if he's really trying to downsize. If he won't land where you need to be then so be it... But it just might not be in your price ballpark, and it sounds like the 600 is the way to go...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You can turn that into a F7 as KC said and those were nice setups. He would know what you would need but iirc you need the jugs, cylinder heads and then clutching. Seen it done on one other snowmobile up here when I was still working at Mack as the one guy worked on a AC Race team and got the stuff for the other mechanic in the shop as he had a F5 but wanted the extra power. Lots of those out there I would seriously consider doing that with the TLC depending on how bad it is and that is subjective as some consider TLC worse then others. Post some pictures along with what is wrong.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
Naw all you need is a set of pistons and F7 gasket set!
Send your jugs and head to US Chrome and they will send it back ready to bolt up!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hmm I know when they did his he used F7 cylinders and the cylinder head. Maybe he didn't have to. Idk I just stayed long enough for them to tear it apart and saw the new parts on the side.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
I'm still in the camp of selling both sleds, getting money in hand and look for a newer one. The OP said he wants a ride forward which neither of his sleds fit the bill. Trading usually doesn't work out very well. Someone usually ends up losing. Usually the one that starts the trade. Especially when the trade is for same style vehicle. Unfortunately, now is not the time to sell and get the most for the sleds. But, it doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
This winter has been strange but sled sales were at and all time high!
If you didn't sell this year there is an issue!
I don't have anything left to sell!
I could have sold my SRV right out from under me this year!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
There were very few new sleds for sale, the manufacturers had to shut down because of government Covid restrictions. That caused a lack of new sleds. The dealers near here all sold out pretty early, and anyone with a decent used sled was able to sell it pretty easily for a premium price. It was definitely a seller's market. I should have sold one of mine when the market was high... I don't need three sleds when I'm the only one in the family riding. Maybe next fall...

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
Edit: Forgot to hit post.... Agree with Dan. Covid put a snafu on all kinds of production.

Covid. People are looking for something to do. A guy just ordered a side X side and won't see it till the end of July. I hear if you order a boat, delivery wont be until Aug sometime...... RV sales are thru the roof too. When this is all said and done, there should be a ton of deals for slightly used toys...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Edit: Forgot to hit post.... Agree with Dan. Covid put a snafu on all kinds of production.

Covid. People are looking for something to do. A guy just ordered a side X side and won't see it till the end of July. I hear if you order a boat, delivery wont be until Aug sometime...... RV sales are thru the roof too. When this is all said and done, there should be a ton of deals for slightly used toys...
my buddy seems to think as things go back to normal a lot of sleds will be up for sale as you said. Guys rushed to buy all these toys and then reality hits when you have to go back to worth, have no time, extra money runs out etc.

Yes I should have sold during the season when prices were high but I was having so much fun riding. Lol

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
Late fall is a good time to sell. After a few early snowflakes, but way b4 the trails are ready... That way u won't miss out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Late fall is a good time to sell. After a few early snowflakes, but way b4 the trails are ready... That way u won't miss out.
probably the plan at this point. I do have someone interested in looking at the Yamaha. My list price right now is 2300, probably wouldn’t take less than 2100 at the moment.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts