Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I don't know squat about wrenching on sleds (or anything for that matter) so right off my initial excitement of being offered a 2006 Switchback 900 with 2500 miles, everything I research says that engine is junk. I remember considering a Fusion 900 and guess it's the same engine. The owner of this Switchback says the handlebars vibrate pretty good at idle but "not noticeable when you get going" so sounds like its got that fun vibration! (sarcasm)

He says all the recalls are done which I will inquire about. IF the recalls are all complete, could it be worth it? I'd be trading a 2003 Arctic Cat F5 Sno Pro with 5500 miles (on the rougher side but runs, no kill switch or gas gauge) and a 2004 Yamaha SXVenom 600 Triple, very cleans runs excellent but has 6500 miles. Would you trade these two sleds for that Switchback?

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Polaris only made that engine for two years. There's a reason for that. It vibrated so bad in year three that it broke the bulkheads and they cancelled the engine, leaving the small block 700 as the biggest engine Polaris produced in 2007. That engine has tons of problems. I'd stay away. I feel for folks that have 'em and are trying to get rid of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Polaris only made that engine for two years. There's a reason for that. It vibrated so bad in year three that it broke the bulkheads and they cancelled the engine, leaving the small block 700 as the biggest engine Polaris produced in 2007. That engine has tons of problems. I'd stay away. I feel for folks that have 'em and are trying to get rid of them.
I don’t doubt that from what I’ve read and the fact that they made them so short of a time as you said. The dealer I called said they’re a nightmare but with the recalls completed like this has it can be the best value of a used sled on the market. What do you think?

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
545 Posts
I don't want to speak for Dan but he did say "That engine has tons of problems. I'd stay away. I feel for folks that have 'em and are trying to get rid of them."

So I think it's pretty clear what he thinks. Buyer beware...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yep people around here are always trying to dump them. People buy them without research and then within a week or two you see it back up on the marketplace or craigslist but the new buyer once he talks to people. Asking more then what he paid usually,lol. Because he knows he got the shaft on the deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What Bass said. Your money, your choice. We warned you ;)
Thanks Dan and everyone else, I will avoid this switchback.

I have someone willing to trade a 2009 Polaris Dragon 800, 7k miles rebuilt 2k ago but my research says these sleds have some major issues too. What is it these years and Polaris? :/

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Polaris has had a hard time trying to get their big power engines working. It started with the Liberty 800, (2000-01) and especially the VES model (2002-2005), then the dreaded 900/700 (2005-06), then the small block 800. During those intro years of the SB 800 in 2008-9, every 800 sold was recalled for new pistons/cylinders, fuel map, and other upgrades. But the SB 800 still had issues even as late as 2012. They seemed to get that right and so far, the 850 is having good results. But that 900 was a big reason a lot of die-hard Polaris riders are on Cats or Skidoos now...

If the updates were done to the 09 800, it would be a much better choice than the 900. Especially if it went 7k miles.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yep sadly it cost a lot of business for Polaris during those years. The big block was just not all that reliable. But the 800s from 2000-2012 or so as Dan said have issues personally even with the recalls and what not unless it was high quality parts from a good source and mechanic I would avoid but I am picky like that. Now if it has the stuff from SLP or similar companies and a reputable shop did it then yeah I would look at it. Those Fix It Kits are still being sold like crazy by SLP and other makers and they are making a damn nice profit off of them as there is a bunch of those snowmobiles out there. The 850 seems to have a good rep so far. Polaris 600 is still reliable as ever just like the old 440 Liquids Fuji, the 500 Liquid Fuji were the mainstay of the '90s. You can beat and beat on those engines and they keep on going. Same with the Indy 400 I wish they would have made that a few more years Been trying to find a '91 Indy 400 XC and convert it all to Xtra-10 but no luck as there was not many of them.

Good luck in your search. Try finding a 600 in that 2010+ year they are plentiful and still a bunch of power plus if you do reeds/clutching what not they are nice, quick and very reliable!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep sadly it cost a lot of business for Polaris during those years. The big block was just not all that reliable. But the 800s from 2000-2012 or so as Dan said have issues personally even with the recalls and what not unless it was high quality parts from a good source and mechanic I would avoid but I am picky like that. Now if it has the stuff from SLP or similar companies and a reputable shop did it then yeah I would look at it. Those Fix It Kits are still being sold like crazy by SLP and other makers and they are making a damn nice profit off of them as there is a bunch of those snowmobiles out there. The 850 seems to have a good rep so far. Polaris 600 is still reliable as ever just like the old 440 Liquids Fuji, the 500 Liquid Fuji were the mainstay of the '90s. You can beat and beat on those engines and they keep on going. Same with the Indy 400 I wish they would have made that a few more years Been trying to find a '91 Indy 400 XC and convert it all to Xtra-10 but no luck as there was not many of them.

Good luck in your search. Try finding a 600 in that 2010+ year they are plentiful and still a bunch of power plus if you do reeds/clutching what not they are nice, quick and very reliable!
Thanks. These are all guys that have responded to an ad I posted about trading my sleds for a new rider forward sled. It’s crazy I’ve gotten 2 or 3 switchback offers (2 900s, 1 600) and then this Dragon.

I’m going to call a dealer tomorrow and run the vin. If all updates are done I’m taking it

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's no way I'd want a Dragon of any kind or a 900 engine of Polaris in a sled. They are junky and fail regularly.
I’m stuck between the 09 Dragon 800 (I know theirs problems there too but I’d put the fix kit pistons and spacer in) or the 06 Switchback with the 600. Both have 7k miles so I’d do a top end in either one regardless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts