Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have two plastic brackets broken off the hood, but are riveted to the metal hood hinges. Would anyone have any suggestions as how to repair / reattach these hinges/brackets to the hood? I've attached pictures of both sides where the bracket and hinges broke off.
Tire Automotive tire Metal
Metal

Thank you for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I epoxied angle aluminum on one sled and it held for about 2 years before it broke again. When it broke again, I re-epoxied them and also bolted through the hood. So it didn't look like I did it for that purpose, I used the bolts to hold an LED lightbar on.

Reactions: guttersnipes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I epoxied angle aluminum on one sled and it held for about 2 years before it broke again. When it broke again, I re-epoxied them and also bolted through the hood. So it didn't look like I did it for that purpose, I used the bolts to hold an LED lightbar on.
Thanks so much, that's a great idea with the light bar!

·
Registered
211 Posts
you might look into plastic welding. ? a solder iron and some of the SAME material being repaired for filler will weld up pretty strong. hinges are tough tho, lots of stress there.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I have a plastic welder and no it didn't hold up, thats why I fiberglassed it and so far it has lasted 6 years

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, KCCats2! I'll try going the fiberglass route. Would you have any suggestions on what fiberglass product to buy and how to apply ?

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I went to Azone and got resign and hardner and cloth!
Get the area preped with like sanding disk on grinder?
Lay cloth in layers going opposite directions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts