Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the fourm :)

I bought a 05 f7 jokers wild sno pro a few months ago and were just getting enough snow to ride where I live. On my second trip out I noticed that my speedo isnt working, digital or numbers. The rpm's work, both digital and numbers. I have been doing some research and came down to a failing speed sensor ? Am I correct that the 05's have alot of speed sensor failures, and that this is most likely 99% my problem ? If so could anyone walk me threw how to replace this sensor, and where it is located on the motor. From my research it is behind the secondary clutch ? Would really like some info on how to replace this sensor it is driving me nuts. Pictures too would help but if anyone can walk me threw how to replace it, it would be great :) Just don't want to dig into anything on my sled alone because this is the firts time I will be working on the F7's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sensor is located below the secondary, easy to get at.
Thanks for the quick reply, is there any diagrams online to show how to replace it, or pictures of what it looks like so I know.

What has to come off / apart to replace the speed sensor ? Secondary clutch ?

·
Jay C
207 Posts
You know this does mean the bearing is gone right?
maybe a stupid question....but with a digital speedo, is there still a speedo key that goes into the main bearing casing like there is on most others??
If thats the case, you are going to have to pull your drive and replace that main driven bearing....Ive done it, not that bad...

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
There is no drive key on a FireCat....they use a magnetic induction pickup. This sled will most likely have the Diamond Drive, so I would discount the bearing issue.
Before you go tearing everything apart, check the wiring very closely. In mine, There was a bundle of wiring inboard of the 2ndary; looked good at rest, but when the 2ndary would open all the way, it nicked a couple of the wires (happened to be the APV servo motor wires). I would suggest getting a service manual on CD...they're available on Ebay for less than $10.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i rode all day today without any bearing problems.

Is it hurting the sled if i ride without the speedo working, I know its not racking up the miles haha :)

·
Jay C
207 Posts
Well i rode all day today without any bearing problems.

Is it hurting the sled if i ride without the speedo working, I know its not racking up the miles haha :)
Im gonna guess it is not hurting it....

·
Registered
136 Posts
my 04 f7 speedo quit last year and i just figure it was the sensor and i popped it off real quick then thats when i seen that where the bearing used to be was now gone and the shaft was just sitting on the inner race...it didnt make any weird noises to ride it or anything...so i had to put new bearins in it and then a new magnet in the shaft to get my speedo again..i would deff check it tho cause im sure a new driveshaft is quit expensive

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my 04 f7 speedo quit last year and i just figure it was the sensor and i popped it off real quick then thats when i seen that where the bearing used to be was now gone and the shaft was just sitting on the inner race...it didnt make any weird noises to ride it or anything...so i had to put new bearins in it and then a new magnet in the shaft to get my speedo again..i would deff check it tho cause im sure a new driveshaft is quit expensive
what are the steps to check it out

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay I have the secondary clutch off, and all the five 13mill nuts and one 13mill bolt holding the gear gase to the sled off, the gear case wont slide out. Am I missing anything to take off for it to slide out ? If I take the gear case out, is it going to spill out oil everywheres ? Or is there a way to drain it before I take it all the way out ? Should I drain it first ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the drain and fill up hole is on the inside of the case by the track. But im wondering how the gearbox comes off and out of the sled. I have the bolts out holding it to the tunnel but it is not moving off the shaft.

Do have to losten the track off, and take the big long bolt that holds the rotor on out to get the gear case out ? Or what more to I have to do to be able to take it out of the sled.

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
I'm not familiar with how the f series comes apart, sorry man. I'm sure there will be someone that has more knowledge about. I've only worked on the ZR's

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay thanks.

Can anyone tell me how the gearcase comes out of the f-7 ? I have the secondary off & I have the nuts and the one bolt out holding it to the tunnel. But it is not moving. Am I missing anything that I didnt remove to be able to take it out. Reason why I am removing the gearcase is to be able to remove the speed sensor to replace and cant get the sensor out inless the gearcase comes out. How do I get this darn gearcase off ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay after messing around I lostened off the track, and took the big bolt holding the rotor on out, and my chaincase came out finally. Now that I have it out the question is ... What parts do I have to replace or part to get my speedo working again ? The wire, or what ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts