Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New to this forum. My 1st Polaris EVER and I am excited. I like old school, so bought a real nice 2004 XC500. Just making some adjustments and I have 2 questions. 1) Clutch engages at 4200 RPM with new belt and adjustments looking good. Spring is Black (looks like a black dot as well). What should the spring be and what should it engage at. I feel this is a bit aggressive. 2) The electronic suspension doesn't work. Wires are all good and switch is free. Any ideas as where to start looking for the problem? Is there a fuse somewhere? Any tips or hints are very welcome. THX

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
The 500 Edge and Classic both use a gold spring, which is a bit less aggressive than the black/green spring. The Polaris website shows a black/green spring for the XC Edge w/M10 suspension.

No help on the suspension... maybe someone else can weigh in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All. New to this forum. My 1st Polaris EVER and I am excited. I like old school, so bought a real nice 2004 XC500. Just making some adjustments and I have 2 questions. 1) Clutch engages at 4200 RPM with new belt and adjustments looking good. Spring is Black (looks like a black dot as well). What should the spring be and what should it engage at. I feel this is a bit aggressive. 2) The electronic suspension doesn't work. Wires are all good and switch is free. Any ideas as where to start looking for the problem? Is there a fuse somewhere? Any tips or hints are very welcome. THX
Great thx. May look at that. Actually a misprint. Mine is black / green.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4000-4400 is fine on a 500 Liberty or Fuji. I run mine at 4200-4400 with no issues.
Thx. My brothers 600 is the same. Its just that it seems the power valves will engage soon after, around 5200 i think, and although my experiance previously with Arctic Cat is the Same, it seemed to make it that much harder on gas. Just thought that an earlier/ softer engagement might help it in that department too.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Softer engagement will wear the belts a bit earlier, too. But harshness is a matter of preference and if you don't like it, then changing to a lighter spring may make you happy. Gold will be softer in engagement and is used in the other 500's of the same year, so should be a simple swap. You don't want to go too low, as there is very low end torque on a 2-stroke. That is why engagement is 4000-4400, to keep you in the power band.

You can also make sure the primary is clean. A build-up of belt dust and grime can also cause a harsher engagement as the RPMs have to overcome the grime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good points. I cleaned it thoroughly today. Looked really good and no wear to speak of. Maybe I'll just wait for snow and try it out before I complain. Thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts