Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Figured I’d start a thread in the appropriate section for a new-to-me machine. I picked this up for me after buying an older Polaris for my son.

2004 GSX 600HO SDI w/estart, reverse, aftermarket rear seat. Machine has 46xx on the clock. Runs fantastic, everything works. Track will need to be done in a couple years, but it’s still very usable.

If it works out a decent machine I will likely buy something newer for myself, pass this 600 onto my older so. (12 y/o).

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I did the annual maintenance to it today (chain case oil, greased everything). Bought a set of plugs (they come in Sunday). Other than that I’m just going to ride it this year/next year and see what happens. Like I said above, if snowmobiling is going to stick with the kids then I’ll get myself into something newer. I absolutely love the utility sleds (Skandic/Expedition). If I got new/newer then I’ll likely be going that road.

Now we just need snow! It’s been a brutal snow year here in New England. We got a small storm last night, going to let the boy ride his machine around my cousins place tomorrow…(first time for him riding a sled). Hope the day goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came up in the early 80’s, with my very first solo ride being my Gramps 1977 Panther 292 (when they could get it to start…lol). I learned a wonderful bouquet of profanity while my father & grandfather tried to start that thing. Honestly, I rode whatever was around. I didn’t ride my first “hot” sled until the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

I was the type of kid that was on a mini bike @4, driving a car/truck on the dirt at 9/10, on the road at 12/13. I’m no stranger to getting on motorized toys and driving vehicles at a very young age. Having said that, there is no way in hell I’d have my son on a big bore machine this early. I know a lot of guys like to plunk their kid on a big bore like it’s a badge of honor. At 12 they do not have the time on the planet to have sorted out how and when to make a split second call about a dicey situation. Me, the one who’d be standing there while I saw the sled roll over on them, watch them “try” something with a big pony sled, not realizing what that flipper can do….nah. I was an EMT for 6 years back in the 90’s. Saw plenty of distraught parents walk along with us as their kid was being carted to the truck with major trauma/broken limbs/can’t feel their legs from an accident on a big adult bike/wheeler/sled.

In the end, it’s about my inability to be ok with them f*cking up the rest of their lives in a potential accident so I can say “my kid can handle the big boy machines”. That’s not to say he’s risk free, even on the Indy 440 I got him on. He can still hit a tree, still roll it over….I know that. But at least that little flipper doesn’t have the ability to send the machine (and him) into a rage like the big bored can.

When he has a couple seasons on the 440 he’ll have had a few incidents that taught him what to do and how to handle some split second calls. At that point, if we are all enjoying it, I will likely pass the GSX onto him and pick myself up something long term & newer (like the utility sled I mention above). That would be the last machine I gave him to ride. He wants something hotter than that he’ll have to stack his own chips for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts