Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Figured I’d start a thread in the appropriate section for a new-to-me machine. I picked this up for me after buying an older Polaris for my son.

2004 GSX 600HO SDI w/estart, reverse, aftermarket rear seat. Machine has 46xx on the clock. Runs fantastic, everything works. Track will need to be done in a couple years, but it’s still very usable.

If it works out a decent machine I will likely buy something newer for myself, pass this 600 onto my older so. (12 y/o).

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I did the annual maintenance to it today (chain case oil, greased everything). Bought a set of plugs (they come in Sunday). Other than that I’m just going to ride it this year/next year and see what happens. Like I said above, if snowmobiling is going to stick with the kids then I’ll get myself into something newer. I absolutely love the utility sleds (Skandic/Expedition). If I got new/newer then I’ll likely be going that road.

Now we just need snow! It’s been a brutal snow year here in New England. We got a small storm last night, going to let the boy ride his machine around my cousins place tomorrow…(first time for him riding a sled). Hope the day goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,975 Posts
Nice snowmobile! If you pass it on I would remove the 2nd seat and all that to remove some weight. And wait till he is about 15 or 16 or so till he takes it. Those 600s are nice engines and reliable. Also a in person class would be good for him to do as its required in most states anyways but some do it in person vs online and the in person ones if there is snow will have you bring w/e snowmobile he intends to ride with them so he can learn some pointers from different teachers and experience it in a controlled situation. Unlike when I started it was "jump on hit the throttle and hold on" ;) lol. Nah j/k but that 1st time you ride can be scary if you slam the throttle right off the bat on those larger machines. The one you bought him that sport is one of the best ones to learn on. I went from kitty cat to 340s to 440s all fan cooled to liquid cooled 400, 600 and so on. He will learn that the liquid cooled machines are a whole new game when going from a fan engine.

GL! Hope you and him enjoy the riding. Too bad you aren't closer to Northeast Wisconsin always looking for someone to ride with since my dad is now retired from riding due to a bad neck injury.

· Registered
3,975 Posts
It's a bit different though when you grow up with them from the time you are young like I did and your son though Dan. Plus as a kid I was on trips that lasted 200-250 miles a day on the snowmobile so I got to learn a lot that way as well.

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
I can't even imagine doing 200 miles in a day. I remember a few days where I did 40 miles and my legs were so tired I had to lift my pant leg to swing the outside one into the truck! That steep stuff can wear a person out quick!

· Registered
3,975 Posts
As a kid it wasn't rough as I just sat there in front of him being so little. But as I got older I realized no way could I do that as I would be so sore that I wouldn't be able to do the next day. Even now it takes me a few days to recover from any trip. People at first don't realize you work your butt off on the trails when riding.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came up in the early 80’s, with my very first solo ride being my Gramps 1977 Panther 292 (when they could get it to start…lol). I learned a wonderful bouquet of profanity while my father & grandfather tried to start that thing. Honestly, I rode whatever was around. I didn’t ride my first “hot” sled until the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

I was the type of kid that was on a mini bike @4, driving a car/truck on the dirt at 9/10, on the road at 12/13. I’m no stranger to getting on motorized toys and driving vehicles at a very young age. Having said that, there is no way in hell I’d have my son on a big bore machine this early. I know a lot of guys like to plunk their kid on a big bore like it’s a badge of honor. At 12 they do not have the time on the planet to have sorted out how and when to make a split second call about a dicey situation. Me, the one who’d be standing there while I saw the sled roll over on them, watch them “try” something with a big pony sled, not realizing what that flipper can do….nah. I was an EMT for 6 years back in the 90’s. Saw plenty of distraught parents walk along with us as their kid was being carted to the truck with major trauma/broken limbs/can’t feel their legs from an accident on a big adult bike/wheeler/sled.

In the end, it’s about my inability to be ok with them f*cking up the rest of their lives in a potential accident so I can say “my kid can handle the big boy machines”. That’s not to say he’s risk free, even on the Indy 440 I got him on. He can still hit a tree, still roll it over….I know that. But at least that little flipper doesn’t have the ability to send the machine (and him) into a rage like the big bored can.

When he has a couple seasons on the 440 he’ll have had a few incidents that taught him what to do and how to handle some split second calls. At that point, if we are all enjoying it, I will likely pass the GSX onto him and pick myself up something long term & newer (like the utility sled I mention above). That would be the last machine I gave him to ride. He wants something hotter than that he’ll have to stack his own chips for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts